|Trade names||Podocon-25, others|
Podophyllum resin, also known as podophyllum or podophyllin, is a resin made from the roots of the American mandrake. It is used as a medication to treat genital warts and plantar warts, including in people with HIV/AIDS. It is not recommended in HPV infections without external warts. Application by a healthcare provider to the skin is recommended.
Common side effects include redness, itchiness, and pain at the site of use. Severe side effects may include vomiting, abdominal pain, confusion, bone marrow suppression, and diarrhea. It is not recommended for more than a small area at a time. Use during pregnancy is known to be dangerous to the baby. It works mostly via podophyllotoxin which stops cell division.
Podophyllin resin has been used to treat warts since at least 1820. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. In the United States a course of treatment costs about 50 to 100 USD. A formulation known as podophyllotoxin with less side effects is also available.
- Briggs, Gerald G.; Freeman, Roger K.; Yaffe, Sumner J. (2011). Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 1190. ISBN 9781608317080. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22.
- "Podophyllum Resin". The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Archived from the original on 22 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- WHO Model Formulary 2008 (PDF). World Health Organization. 2009. pp. 307, 309. ISBN 9789241547659. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Arora, Rajesh (2010). Medicinal Plant Biotechnology. CABI. p. 36. ISBN 9781845936921. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22.
- "WHO Model List of Essential Medicines (19th List)" (PDF). World Health Organization. April 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Hamilton, Richart (2015). Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2015 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning. p. 185. ISBN 9781284057560.