Politeia (think tank)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Private Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered in England in Wales No. 03123505|
|Dr Sheila Lawlor, Sir Brian Williamson, Professor Harold James|
|Affiliations||Foundation for Social and Economic Thinking. Registered Charity in England and Wales No. 1057509|
Politeia is a centre-right British political think tank that generally supports free-market initiatives. Its director, Sheila Lawlor, and Politeia 'have been and remain hugely influential in steering public policy debate gently in a right of centre direction'.
Its aim is to encourage reflection, discussion and debate about the place of the state in the daily lives of men and women across the range of issues which affect them, from employment and tax to education, health and pensions.
Areas of Work
- Tax and public spending: What are the right levels for a flourishing economy?
- The potential consequences of the Euro or the European constitution for British social and economic policy, employment, taxation and trade
- International comparisons of educational standards
- Policies for high employment: the role of the state, the employer and the employee
- Covering for lost income: health, long term care, pensions and unemployment
- Welfare reform, pensions and benefits: A fairer framework for incentive
- Constitutional change and stability
- Home Affairs – Tackling crime effectively
- Healthcare systems for the future
Patrons and Advisory Council
Its patron is George Robinson and its director is Dr. Sheila Lawlor. Among those on its advisory council include Professor Tim Congdon, Professor David Dilks, Francis Maude MP, David Willetts MP and Professor Carl Lygo.