Pool-in-Wharfedale Anglican Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Pool-in-Wharfedale or Pool in Wharfedale, usually abbreviated to Pool, is a village and civil parish in the Lower Wharfedale area, 10 miles (16 km) north of Leeds city centre, 11 miles (18 km) north-east of Bradford, and 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Otley. It is in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire and within the historic boundaries of the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is in the LS21 (Otley) postcode district.
Pool is connected to the rest of West Yorkshire and surrounding areas by trunk roads and buses. It had a railway station, which linked the village to Leeds, until it closed as part of the Beeching Axe, but Weeton railway station is nearby. It had a population of 2,284 at the 2011 Census, up from 1,785 in 2001.
Pool is a scenic village and enjoys views in most directions, including The Chevin, the Arthington Viaduct and Almscliffe Crag. Running past the outskirts of Pool is the River Wharfe, which is prone to flooding. Nearby is Pool Bank, a steep hill.
The village amenities include two pubs, a post office, a garage, one primary school, a petrol station, a sports and social club and the village hall. It also has two parks and miles of riverside walks. The church of St Wilfred was built in 1839; its architect was Robert Dennis Chantrell.
In recent years the village has rapidly increased in size with the construction of many new homes.
Shell filling station
- "Welcome to Pool in Wharfedale Parish Council". Pool in Wharfedale Parish Council. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Pool Parish (1170211002)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Leeds". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Archived from the original on 19 March 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Tour de France Stage 1". Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "POOL-IN-WHARFEDALE – A JOURNEY BACK IN TIME". Retrieved 23 May 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pool-in-Wharfedale.|
- The ancient parish of Otley: historical and genealogical information at GENUKI (Pool was in this parish).
|This West Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|