Portal:Astronomy/Did you know/13
- ... that lenticular galaxy NGC 1553 is located at the center of the Dorado Group, and has a spiral feature that is only visible in X-rays?
- ... that giant diffuse galaxies, located in the centre of galaxy clusters, often possess a halo of devoured star matter extending as far out as 3 million light years?
- ... that the giant pulses of PSR B1937+21, the first discovered millisecond pulsar, are the brightest radio emission ever observed?
- ... that the star BX Circini is thought to have formed from the merger of two white dwarfs?
- ... that when astronomer Lacaille originally charted the constellation Caelum, it was recognized as an "engraver's chisel"?
- ... that the gamma-ray burst GRB 080319B was visible to the naked eye even though it was 7.5 billion light year away (z=0.937)?