From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 1874 – The first trains operate on the Monterey and Salinas Valley Railroad, making it the first narrow gauge railway to operate in California.
- 1880 – The California Southern Railroad is chartered to connect San Diego to the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad in California (timetable shown).
- 1917 – The Canadian Railway War Board (predecessor of the Railway Association of Canada) meets for the first time at Windsor Station, Montreal.
- 2004 – The Chūetsu earthquake, 6.8 magnitude, in Japan causes the first derailment of a Shinkansen train; the Jōetsu Shinkansen train was traveling 200 km/h (120 mph) on the Tokyo-Niigata line, but no fatalities were reported.
- Monterey County Historical Society (2006). "The Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad". Retrieved October 23, 2006.
- Serpico, Philip C. (1988). Santa Fé Route to the Pacific. Palmdale, California: Omni Publications. ISBN 0-88418-000-X.
- "Significant dates in Canadian railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. September 15, 2006. Retrieved October 23, 2006.
- "Historic Anniversary for the Railway Association of Canada" (Press release). Railway Association of Canada. October 23, 2007. Retrieved October 23, 2007.