- September 24
- 1831 – The Mohawk and Hudson Railroad opens between Albany and Schenectady, New York.
- 1868 – Henry C. Lord succeeds William F. Nast as president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
- 1870 – Ginery Twichell (pictured) succeeds Henry Keyes as president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
- 1934 – Jule Murat Hannaford, president of Northern Pacific Railway 1913-1920, dies (b. 1850).
- Northern Pacific. Annual Report. St. Paul [Minn.]: Northern Pacific, 1934, p. 17.
- Railway Age, September 29, 1934, p. 390.