Pandit Prabhakar Karekar is a Hindustani classical vocalist, a disciple of Jitendra Abhisheki and C. R. Vyas, born in Goa, India. He was awarded Tansen Samman in 2014 and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in the year 2016.
Prabhakar Janardan Karekar was born in 1944, in what was then Portuguese Goa. His Hindustani vocal music training came also from Suresh Haldankar. He has been known as an outstanding performer and teacher, and is a graded artist of All India Radio and Doordarshan.
Promoting Hindustani vocals
Karekar is also the founder and Chairman of the Swarprabha Trust. Karekar has trained several promising and accomplished young musicians. He has many recordings to his credit and has performed, lectured and held workshops or taken part in conferences in many countries.
- Shakuntala Bharne,who wrote his biography.
- Cabral e Sá, Mário (1997). Wind of fire: the music and musicians of Goa. Promilla & Co., 1997. p. 160. ISBN 8185002193.
- Singh, Ramendra. "Pt. Prabhakar Karekar to be conferred Tansen Samman on December 12". Time of India. TOI. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Akademi Awardee", Sangeet Natak Akademi, Sangeet Natak Akademi, retrieved 2 April 2018
- "CUR_TITLE". sangeetnatak.gov.in. Retrieved 24 November 2018.