10 February 1951 |
|Years active||1991 present|
Prasanna (born 10 February 1951), is a major Indian theatre director and playwright from Karnataka. He is one of the pioneers of modern Kannada theatre. He graduated from the National School of Drama (NSD). He founded Samudaya and gave a creative direction to Kannada theatre in the 1970s with other activists. Prasanna lives in Heggodu in Karnataka. He is known for his organisational skills and new ideas and innovations in theatre. He is a Sangeet Natak Akademi Awardee. He has directed plays for National School of Drama (Repertory Company, NSD), Ninasam, Rangamandal-Bhopal, Rangayana and worked with many theatre organizations of India.
Girish Karnad's Tughlaq, Gandhi, Life of Galileo, Thai (Brecht's Mother Courage and Her Children), Acharya Tartuf, Lal Ghas Per Neele Ghode (translation -Uday Prakash), Ek Lok Katha, Shakuntalam (Abhijñānaśākuntalam), Fujiyama, Dangeya Munchina Dinagalu, Kadadida Neeru, Uttar Ram Charit, Cupid's Broken Arrow, William Shakespeare's Hamlet, Seema Paar(Play on Bharatendu Harishchandra) etc.
Work for visual media
- Docu-film "In search of an ideology" Direction- Prasanna, Assist direction-Arvind Gaur for Doordarshan, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting,India
- Docu-film "Gokak" (V. K. Gokak) for Sahitya Akademi, Delhi
- Creative Director- Taana -Bana (1991), TV Serial produced by Press Trust of India (PTI-TV)
- Worked with ITV
- B V Karanth award, 2007, National School of Drama
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, for Direction, 1999–2000
- Parul Sharma (2007-12-31). "An acting activist all the way". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- DH News Service. "Introduce theatre edn in govt schools: Prasanna". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Rangayana Mysore. "the pioneers of Modern Kannada Theatre". Rangayana.org. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- The Times of India (2005-02-26). "This play gives desi hue to foreign classics". The Times Of India. Archived from the original on March 5, 2005. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Ankur Kalitaa. "The Ultimate Frontier-Prasanna's Seema Paar explores the many faces of death". Cities.expressindia.com. Retrieved 2008-12-21.