Priory School, Isle of Wight
|Principal||Mr E Matyjaszek|
Isle of Wight
|Local authority||Isle of Wight Council|
|DfE URN||118225 Tables|
|Students||75 boys and 75 girls (Sept 2014)|
The school was founded by Elizabeth Joan Goldthorpe in 1993 out of the closure of Upper Chine School with 14 primary aged pupils based in Shanklin. During her ownership, the position of headteacher was taken over by her daughter, Katherine, and the school expanded up to GCSE level. In 2009, the school was sold to parent Edmund Matyjaszek, who introduced improvements as noted by Ofsted in 2010 and expanded the school to A Levels in 2010.
In April 2012, a teacher was suspended and investigated in reference to alterations to exam scripts without pupil knowledge. Further to a ban on dealing with exams and invigilating, the teacher returned in a teaching position in September.
The 2012 pass rates for the school were 100% 5+ A*-C for Year 11 with 81% A*-B and 100% A*-C for 11 subjects, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Religious Studies, ICT and Art. For A Level, the school had 94% pass rate with 69% A* to C and 50% A* to A.
The school was rated as good in an Ofsted inspection in December 2012, with the quality of education praised. The Principal praised the positive report from Ofsted and commented he believed that Queen Victoria would be pleased with the school being at Whippingham, where she herself had founded a school in 1864. HRH Princess Beatrice of York visited the school on 16 June 2014 to unveil a plaque to commemorate 150 years of contunuous education on the Whippingham site.
Originally located in the Broadway, Sandown, the school moved to temporary accommodation at Landguard Manor, Shanklin before relocating to Alverstone Manor, also in Shanklin, in 2005. After an initial rejection to this new location, temporary planning permission for 2 years was given to the school in 2005, with the time limit subsequently removed in 2007.
- Pearce, Emily (12 March 2009), New owner for rescued school, Isle of Wight County Press, retrieved 19 May 2012
- Messaoudi, Michèle (May 2010), Independent school progress report (PDF), Ofsted, retrieved 19 May 2012
- Pearce, Emily (20 February 2010), Private school set to move, Isle of Wight County Press, retrieved 19 May 2012
- Priory School The Good Schools Guide, The Good Schools Guide, retrieved 19 May 2012
- Pearce, Emily. "Teacher banned from exam work". Isle of Wight County Press. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Priory School Newsletter" (PDF). 7 September 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- GCSE Results 2012 (PDF), 23 August 2012, retrieved 5 September 2012
- "Isle of Wight A-level results released". Isle of Wight County Press. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Seal, John (December 2012), Independent school progress report (PDF), Ofsted, retrieved 9 January 2013
- Wright, Richard (4 January 2013). "School meeting its aims say inspectors". Isle of Wight County Press.
- Neville, Martin (24 April 2007), School eviction threat lifted, Isle of Wight County Press, retrieved 19 May 2012
- White, Jamie (14 July 2011), Village school set for new life as private school, Isle of Wight County Press, retrieved 19 May 2012
- White, Jamie (2 March 2012), Big move across the Island is a ringing success, Isle of Wight County Press, retrieved 19 May 2012