Prom Queen: The Marc Hall Story
|Prom Queen: The Marc Hall Story|
|Directed by||John L'Ecuyer|
|Produced by||Heather Gordon Haldane|
|Written by||Michael MacLennan|
|Music by||Gary Koftinoff|
|Edited by||Mike Lee|
|Distributed by||Lifetime Television|
Prom Queen: The Marc Hall Story is a Canadian television film, which aired on CTV in 2004. The film is about Marc Hall, a gay Canadian teenager whose legal fight (Marc Hall v. Durham Catholic School Board) to bring a same-sex date to his Catholic high school prom made headlines in 2002.
In Inniston, Marc Hall (Aaron Ashmore) is popular and his sexuality relatively well-accepted by his classmates and later his parents. But when he decides to take his boyfriend to the prom as his date, he finds he has stepped over the line straight into the fight of his young life and sends ripples through Canada's media. From just an ordinary teenager, he becomes an icon for LGBT rights across the nation when he discovers he is battling discrimination to date whomever he wants within the spotlight of the nation's media.
- Aaron Ashmore as Marc Hall
- Mac Fyfe as Jason
- Tamara Hope as Carly
- Trevor Blumas as Beau
- Dave Foley as Principal Warrick
- Fiona Reid as the school board chief.
- Laura Vandervoort as Young Girl (uncredited)
The offices of Toronto-based Tapestry Pictures were vandalised one week before the film's television premiere, and the producers feared the vandalism was linked to its controversial film it was about to release. It was shown on terrestrial TV on CTV on 1 June 2004.
A musical adaptation of Prom Queen entitled The Louder We Get directed by Lonny Price with songs by Colleen Dauncey and lyrics by Akiva-Romer Segal premiered in January 2020 at Theatre Calgary after a developmental production in September 2018 in London, Ontario. Selections were featured in the 2017 NAMT festival in New York.
- MacDonald, Gayle (27 May 2004). "Prom Queen offices trashed". Retrieved 8 February 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hobson, Louis B. (2020-02-27). "Theatre Calgary show The Louder We Get is making plenty of noise in theatre circles". Calgary Herald. Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- "Theatre Calgary's The Louder We Get 'an absolute must-see' musical that will have you humming numbers on your way out the door – TheYYSCENE". Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- Desk, BWW News. "Grand Theatre Celebrates PROM QUEEN: THE MUSICAL". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- "Prom Queen | NAMT". NAMT. Retrieved 2018-06-24.