Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada
Established in 1932, the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) represents the interests of the Canadian mineral exploration and development industry. The association is best known for its annual convention and trade show in Toronto. In 2017, the show attracted more than 24,000 attendees from 130 countries. Attendance in 2016 was approximately 22,000 from 125 different countries.
PDAC Trade Show and Convention
The annual PDAC Trade Show and Convention is held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in downtown Toronto in early March. The show attracts exhibitors, investors, analysts, mining executives, geologists and government officials from across the Americas and around the world. The annual PDAC Convention has grown into a respected institution with an international reputation for networking, deal-making and discussing the current trends shaping the industry.
The organization engages in advocacy work on government policy regarding issues of concern to the exploration and mineral industry, including access to land, mining and securities regulations, Aboriginal affairs, corporate social responsibility, finance and taxation, geosciences, environmental issues, and health and safety.
It urged for the rejection of Bill C-300, also known as the Corporate Accountability of Mining, Oil and Gas Corporations in Developing Countries Act, related to promoting responsible environmental practices and international human rights standards on the part of Canadian mining, oil and gas corporations in developing countries. PDAC's alternative system is its "Framework for Responsible Exploration".
PDAC is a national organization with approximately 1,000 corporate members (including mining companies and mining industry service providers) and more than 7,000 individual members (including prospectors, developers, geoscientists, consultants, mining executives, and students, as well as those involved in the drilling, financial, and legal aspects of exploration). Funding for PDAC is provided by annual membership dues and corporate sponsorship.
PDAC Professional Liability and Business Insurance
In co-operation with third-party insurance providers, PDAC offers both professional and business insurance coverage to firms and individuals in the industry who are members of the PDAC .<r
- PDAC Association Website: http://www.pdac.ca/
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-01-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2009-11-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-06. Retrieved 2009-11-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-08-15. Retrieved 2009-11-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2009-11-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- http://news.mining.com/2009/11/24/corporate-social-responsibility-pdac-opposes-bill-c-300/[permanent dead link]
- http://www.businessethicscanada.ca/dialogue/events/e340.html[permanent dead link]