Punish Me with Kisses
|"Punish Me with Kisses"|
|Single by The Glove|
|from the album Blue Sunshine|
|Released||18 November 1983|
|Genre||Post-punk, gothic rock, alternative rock|
|Label||Wonderland Records/Polydor Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Robert Smith and Steven Severin|
|The Glove singles chronology|
"Punish Me with Kisses" is the second single by the Glove from their album Blue Sunshine. released in 1983 by Wonderland Records/Polydor. The Glove were a side project for Robert Smith of the Cure and Steven Severin of Siouxsie and the Banshees. The song was recorded in 1983 while Smith was also a member of the Banshees, and also featured future Banshees keyboardist Martin McCarrick and new Cure drummer Andy Anderson.
The release of the single went largely unnoticed at the time, because both the Cure and the Banshees had just released their most successful singles to date.
The song was co-written by Smith and Severin.
In a review for the Blue Sunshine album for the Spanish-language magazine Muzikalia, critic Manuel Pinazo described this song and "Like an Animal" as having echoes of Syd Barrett., while Toronto Star, critic Ben Rayner described the song as a "more straightforward post-punk cut". In a review of the 2006 reissue of the Blue Sunshine album, which included a remix of the song, PopMatters editor Adam Besenyodi said that the depth of the album version "is lost on the Mike Hedges mix, where the full orchestration is supplanted with a tinnier sound".
- Punish Me with Kisses (Mike Hedges Mix) (3:30)
- The Tightrope (3:12)
- Strong, Martin Charles (October 2003). The Great Indie Discography. Canongate Books. p. 82. ISBN 978-1841953359. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Larkin, Colin (1992). The Guinness Encyclopedia of Popular Music. New England Publishing Associates. p. 984. ISBN 978-1882267026. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Spencer, Lauren (December 1990). "Paint it Black". Spin (magazine). Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Thompson, Dave (Nov 1, 2002). The Dark Reign of Gothic Rock. Helter Skelter Publishing. p. 261. ISBN 978-1900924481. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Thompson, Dave. "The Glove". Allmusic. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "Punish Me With Kisses (Images)". Discogs.com. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Pinazo, Manuel (September 26, 2006). "The Glove - Blue Sunshine (Deluxe Edition)" (in Spanish). Muzikalia. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Rayner, Ben (September 30, 2006). "Cure for '80s cravings". Toronto Star. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
More straightforward post-punk cuts like "Punish Me With Kisses" and "This Green City"
- Besenyodi, Adam (August 22, 2006). "Trippin': The Cure 1983-1987". PopMatters. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- on YouTube - from Steve Severin's YouTube channel