|Vice-minister of Education|
June 2003 – 2008
|Vice-chairwoman of the All-China Women's Federation|
Yongjia County, Zhejiang
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Education||Tsinghua University (BSc)|
Tsinghua University (MSc)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (PhD)
Wu completed her undergraduate degree in radio engineering at Tsinghua University in 1970. She worked as a technician in a factory making equipment for the Yunnan Central Office for telecommunications until 1975, when she moved to Beijing to become a technician in the China Electronics Standardization Institute.
In 1978, Wu resumed her studies as a master's student Tsinghua University, researching precision instruments and working as an assistant engineer. From 1981 to 1986, Wu studied for a PhD at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich.
From 1986 to 1989, Wu worked as a lecturer at Tongji University before becoming an assistant professor, then a professor. In 1993, she was made vice-president of Tongji University, before becoming president in 1995. During Wu's presidency, the number of students at Tongji increased from 27,000 to 56,000 and the funds available for research increased three-fold.
In 2002, Wu was an alternate member of the 16th National Congress of the Communist Party of China.
In 2003, Wu was made Vice-minister of Education, in addition to becoming a Vice-chairwoman of the All-China Women's Federation.
Honours and awards
- Grand Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1999).
- Henry Fok Scholarship Award from MOE for Young Teachers (1988)
- "会长介绍" [Introduction to the president] (in Chinese). SORSA. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "教育部副部长吴启迪" [Vice-minister of education Wu Qidi] (in Chinese). Xinhua.net. 20 January 2005. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- General Office of the Ministry of Education (1 April 2003). "吴启迪同志简历" [CV of comrade Wu Qidi] (in Chinese). Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Served as Leadership". Tongji University. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- Xin Zhong 辛忠, ed. (26 May 2011). "吴启迪简历" [CV of Wu Qidi] (in Chinese). Politics.gmw.cn. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
Gao Tingyao (高廷耀)
| President of Tongji University
February 1995 - June 2003