When the name originates from Ireland, the Isle of Man and Scotland it is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic Mac Phàil (Scottish) Mac Phóil (Irish) "Mac Phaayl" (Manx) meaning "son of Pàil/Póil/Paayl". These are Gaelic patronymic forms of the personal name Paul. When originating in Ireland the name is sometimes a variant of the surname Quill. When Quayle is of English origin the surname can be derived from the Old French/Middle English quaille, meaning "quail". In this way the name would be used as a nickname for a timorous, lecherous, or fat person - words that all describe this particular bird. The name is recorded in the Isle Man as MacFayle in 1511, and MacQuayle, Quayle in 1540. The name is recorded in England as Quayle in 1327.
- Anna Quayle (born 1936), English actress
- Anthony Quayle (1913–1989), English actor and film director of Manx origin
- John Quayle (actor) (born 1938), English sitcom actor
Broadcasting and journalism
- Don Quayle (1930–2015), broadcast journalist, first president of NPR
- Emma Quayle, Australian sports journalist
- James C. Quayle (1921–2000), American newspaper publisher
- Matt Quayle, co-creator of CNBC's Squawk Box
- Ben Quayle (born 1976), son of Dan Quayle and former U.S. Congressman from Arizona
- Dan Quayle (born 1947), 44th Vice President of the United States
- Fred Quayle (born 1936), American politician
- John Quayle (1868–1930), a U.S. Congressman
- Marilyn Quayle (born 1949), wife of the Vice President, Second Lady of the United States, and author
- Martyn Quayle (1959–2016), Manx politician
- Charlie Quayle (born 1907), English footballer (New Brighton, Crystal Palace)
- James Quayle (footballer) (born 1890), English footballer who played only one game (Woolwich Arsenal)
- Mark Quayle (born 1978), English footballer
- David Quayle (1936–2010), co-founder of B&Q
- Frank J. Quayle (1892–1971), Fire Commissioner of the City of New York
- Quinton Quayle (born 1955), British diplomat
- William Alfred Quayle, (1860–1925), American Methodist bishop
- Quayle, an NPC in the Baldur's Gate series of computer role-playing games.
- Lydia Rodarte-Quayle, a logistics crime conspirator in the final season of AMC's Breaking Bad.
- Quail, a variant spelling
- Quill (surname), in some cases in Ireland Quayle is a variant of this surname
- MacPhail (disambiguation), in some cases
- "Quail Name Meaning and History". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 16 December 2008.
- "Quayle Name Meaning and History". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 16 December 2008.
- Reaney, Percy Hilde; Wilson, Richard Middlewood (2006). A Dictionary of English Surnames (PDF) (3rd ed.). London: Routledge. p. 2563. ISBN 0-203-99355-1.
|This page lists people with the surname Quayle. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|