||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Suryaprakash performing at Lotus Temple. Fairfax, VA, USA.
|Born||22 October 1967|
|Occupation(s)||Carnatic vocalist, composer, lyricist|
|Years active||1990 – Present|
R. Suryaprakash (born 1967) is an award-winning Carnatic vocalist, composer, and lyricist. An 'A Grade' artist of All India Radio, he has travelled extensively and received accolades for his performances.
Early Life and education
Suryaprakash was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu to N. Ramachandran and Alamelu. He began studying music at the age of seven from his uncle Tirukkodikaval Shri V. Rajamani, a disciple of Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. Later, he learned under Shri M. A. Venugopalan, another disciple of Semmangudi. He received his advanced training from Sangeetha Kalanidhi T. V. Sankaranarayanan. He further enriched his repertoire by working with Smt. Sulochana Pattabiraman and Dr. V. V. Srivatsa, both eminent musicologists.
Suryaprakash holds a master's degree in Carnatic music from Madras University.
Suryaprakash is a regular performer in the Carnatic music circuit. He has been accompanied by leading stalwarts such as Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman, Mannargudi Easwaran, Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam, V. V. Ravi, Subhash Chandran.
Suryaprakash has performed extensively both in India and abroad in many countries such as Australia, Singapore, US, New Zealand, South Africa. He is a sought-after performer at international Carnatic music festivals, some of which being the 'Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana' and the 'Festival of Asia' in Melbourne, Australia.
In addition to performing, Suryaprakash teaches and conducts workshops for aspiring students.
- G. Ramanathan Award, Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, Chennai, 2013
- Gana Kala Vipanchee, Padma Vibushan M. Balamuralikrishna, 2007
- Nada Chintamani, Chintamani Gayana Samaja, Chennai, 2007
- Best Vocalist, Madras Music Academy, Chennai, 2006
- Ganamrutha Sagara, Gana Mukundhapriya, Chennai, 2006
- Gambhira Gana Siromani, ABC, Sydney, 2005
- Best Vocalist, Madras Music Academy, Chennai, 2004
- Youth Excellence Award, Rotary Club of Madras, Chennai, 2004
- Ariyakudi Memorial Award, Sriragam Fine Arts, Chennai, 2004
- Nadachudhar, Nadabrahmam Music Journal, 2003
- Madhura Gana Tilaka, Indian Arts Academy, Melbourne, 2003
- Youth Excellence Award, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Trust, 2002
- Best Vivadhi Raga Exposition, Madras Music Academy, Chennai, 2001
- Yuva Kala Bharathi, Bharat Kalachar, Chennai, 1999
- Maharajapuram Sri Viswanatha Iyer Prize for Best Raga Alapana, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai, 1996
- Best Vocalist, Indian Fine Arts Society, Chennai, 1995
- Best Vocalist, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai, 1991
- 1995 – one-hour recording, released by Kalavardhini. Accompaniment: V V Ravi and Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam.
- 1998 – one-hour recording, released by Kalavardhini. Accompaniment: V V Srinivasa Rao and Mannarkoil Balaji.
- 2000—CD and cassette titled "Shining Pearls Of Swati Tirunal" by Carnatica. Accompaniment: Mullaivasal Chandramouli and Mannarkoil Balaji.
- 2004—CD and cassette titled "Legendary Melodies," consisting of classical hits of M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar, S. G. Kittappa, M M Dandapani Desikar, M. L. Vasanthakumari, and others.
Released by Purnima Records. Accompaniment: V Suresh Babu, Tanjore Murugabhoopathi, R Ganapathi, & N Sundar.
- 2005 – CD and cassette titled “Maestro's Popular Melodies.” Released by Kosmic Music. Accompaniment: M A Krishnaswamy, Karukurichi Mohanram, and N Sundar.
- 2006—CD titled “Shanmatha Sunaadam of Dikshithar.” Released by Purnima Records. Accompaniment: Vittal Ramamurthy, Srimushnam V. Raja Rao and Vaikom R Gopalakrishnan.
- 2007 – CD titled "Suryaprakash Live Concert – Bharat Sangeet Utsav 2007." Recorded and Released by Carnatica. Accompaniments: Nagai Sriram, Srimushnam V. Raja Rao and E. M. Subramaniam.
- 2009 – CD—Suryaprakash's first Tamil devotional twin album "Ethanai Kodi Inbam" and "Ananda Vilakku." Recorded and released by Guru Maharaji Trust, New Delhi.
- 2009 – CD titled "Consonance." Released by Purnima Records. Accompaniment: Raghavendra Rao, Tanjore Murugaboopathi, Murali
- 2009 – CD titled Sri Rush Kshetram Tamil kritis/ compositions of Neduntheevu Ponn Suhir on Sri Rajarajeswari Peetam, Rush,NY, USA rendered by Suryaprakash. Recorded and released by Swati Soft Solutions.
- 2010 – CD titled "Raagangale...Paadalgale.." Carnatic Double CD Album. Accompaniment: B Ananthakrishnan and S J Arjun Ganesh Released by Purnima Records.
- 2012 – CD titled “Madhura Gaanam.” Carnatic album. Accompaniment: Nagai Sriram and Tanjore Murugaboopathi
- "R. Suryaprakash". kutcheris.com. kutcheris.com. 13 August 2013.
- Suryaprakash, Ramachandran. "Thaniavarthanam – R. Suryaprakash." Interview.Youtube. Google, 21 November 2012. Web. 14 August 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-NohmBlDg>.
- Ramakrishnan, M. V. (23 December 2011). "Cosmic vision of Khambodi". The Hindu. Hindu.
- Suryaprakash. "Tours Abroad". first = Ramachandran. External link in
- "Duke-UNC South Asian Classical Music Partnership, UNC Sangeet: R. Suryaprakash, Carnatic vocalist". World Music. CVNC. Online Publications, Inc. 19 March 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Spread the glory of traditional music among the uninitiated". The Hindu. Photo: S. Siva Saravanan. The Hindu. 4 July 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- CORRESPONDENT, SPECIAL. "Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha honours artistes". The Hindu. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Suryaprakash, Ramachandran. "Awards, Titles and Prizes". R Suryaprakash's Official Website. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Suryaprakash, Ramachandran. "Albums". R Suryaprakash's Official Website. Retrieved 14 August 2013.