Rancho Santa Ana
Rancho Santa Ana was a 21,522-acre (87.10 km2) Mexican land grant in present day Ventura County, California given in 1837 by Governor Juan Alvarado to Crisogono Ayala and Cosme Vanegas. Rancho Santa Ana was located inland in the Ventura River Valley on the west side of the Ventura River across from Rancho Ojai which was granted in the same year. Rancho Santa Ana encompassed present day Lake Casitas and Oak View.
The four square league Rancho Santa Ana was granted to Crisógono Ayala and his father-in-law Cosme Vanegas was part of the lands of Mission San Buenaventura. Cosme Damien Vanegas (1780-), was the son of Los Angeles Pobladores Jose Maria Vanegas (1753-) and Maria Bonifacia Maxima Aguilar(-1801). Jose Maria Vanegas was alcalde (mayor) of Los Angeles from about 1786 to 1788 and again in 1796. Jose Crisógono Dolores Ayala (1793 - 1866) married Bárbara Bernidina Vanegas (1800-).
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, a claim for Rancho Santa Ana was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1852, and the grant was patented to Crisogono Ayala and Cosme Vanegas in 1870.
José de Arnaz (1820–1895), grantee of Rancho Ex-Mission San Buenaventura, bought a one sixth share of Rancho Santa Ana in 1854. In 1874, Arnaz sold the land to sea captain Richard Robinson, Judge Eugene Fawcett, Jr., and H.C. Dean, who subdivided the land and started the development of the Ventura River Valley.
Historic sites of the Rancho
- Santa Ana Rancho Adobe. Adobe house, two story, built in the late 1850s by José de Arnaz. [note 1]
- 9 miles north of the City of Ventura, just east of Highway 33 on Old Creek Road
- Ogden Hoffman, 1862, Reports of Land Cases Determined in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Numa Hubert, San Francisco
- Diseño del Rancho Santa Ana
- United States. District Court (California : Southern District) Land Case 97 SD
- Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886 Archived 2009-05-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- "MAP OF THE SANTA ANA RANCHO" 1 AMR 10-11. Ventura County Recorder Retrieved February 18, 2014 from CountyView GIS.
- Auguisola vs Jose de Arnaz, 1876, Reports of Cases Determined in the Supreme Court of the State of California, Volume 51, pp.435-439, Bancroft-Whitney Company
- Hoover, Mildred B.; Rensch, Hero; Rensch, Ethel; Abeloe, William N. (1966). Historic Spots in California. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8047-4482-9.
- www.laokay.com: Historic Ventura Adobes. accessed 8/28/2010