Rande Lazar is an otolaryngologist with a primary focus in pediatric ear, nose, and throat disorders. He has special expertise in adult and pediatric sleep and snoring disorders and surgery, as well as adult and pediatric sinus disorders.
Education and certification
Lazar received his B.A. in 1973 from Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY, and his M.D. in 1978 from Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. He was a resident at the Department of General Surgery, Cornell-North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, where he became Chief Resident in the Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Disorders. He was licensed in 1985 by the State of Tennessee and obtained certification in 1984 from the American Board of Otolaryngology for Head and Neck Surgery and in 2005 from the American Board of Disability Analysts.
Scholarships and community giving
Lazar has established several scholarships to aid medical students in their study of medicine and otolaryngology, awarded by Brooklyn College, Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.
He has 46 peer-reviewed publication listed in Scopus. The 5 most highly cited are
- Lazar RH, Younis RT, Long TE (January 1993). "Functional endonasal sinus surgery in adults and children". The Laryngoscope. 103 (1 Pt 1): 1–5. doi:10.1288/00005537-199301000-00001. PMID 8421410. Cited 53 times.
- Gross CW, Gurucharri MJ, Lazar RH, Long TE (March 1989). "Functional endonasal sinus surgery (FESS) in the pediatric age group". The Laryngoscope. 99 (3): 272–5. doi:10.1288/00005537-198903000-00007. PMID 2918799. Cited 51 times.
- Linden BE, Gross CW, Long TE, Lazar RH (February 1990). "Morbidity in pediatric tonsillectomy". The Laryngoscope. 100 (2 Pt 1): 120–4. doi:10.1288/00005537-199002000-00002. PMID 2299950. Cited 47 times.
- Lazar RH, Younis RT, Gross CW (1992). "Pediatric functional endonasal sinus surgery: review of 210 cases". Head & Neck. 14 (2): 92–8. doi:10.1002/hed.2880140203. PMID 1601655. Cited 46 times.
- Lazar RH, Younis RT (May 1995). "Transnasal repair of choanal atresia using telescopes". Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. 121 (5): 517–20. PMID 7727084. Retrieved 2010-01-08. Cited 45 times.
Overall, a total 18 of his papers have been cited 18 times of more and his h-index is therefore 18.
Honors and awards
- Award of Honor, The Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, September, 1991
- Physician Recognition Award, American Medical Association
- Rande H. Lazar, M.D. Cleveland Clinic Lectureship
Lazar has been Director of Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship Training, ENT Memphis at LeBonheur Children's Medical Center from 1989 to the present, and has been affiliated as Chief of Surgery, Chairman, or Chief of Staff with LeBonheur Children's Medical Center, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Methodist Health Systems, Les Passees Children's Rehabilitation Center, and LeBonheur Children's Medical Center-East Surgery Center, Memphis, TN. He has been a member of the Medical Advisory Committee, LeBonheur East, from 1990 to the present.
- ENT Net. "Rande H. Lazar: Advancing Socio-economic Research in Otolaryngology". American Academy of Otolaryngology.
- The Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2002). "Otolaryngology Advances Newsletter".