Elevated Lines ("L" Loop Clockwise)
|Location||151 North Wabash Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60601
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
Purple Line weekday rush hours only
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||November 8, 1896|
|Rebuilt||1957 (new Inner Loop station house)|
|Passengers (2014)||2,242,622 1.2%|
|Rank||21 out of 143[a]|
Randolph/Wabash is an 'L' station in the Chicago Loop. It is an elevated station located at Randolph Street and Wabash Avenue. It has two side platforms serving trains running on the CTA's Brown and Green Lines on the outer loop track, and the Green, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines on the inner loop track. Randolph/Wabash is the closest 'L' station to Metra's Millennium Station, and is also one of the stations serving Millennium Park. This station and Madison/Wabash are scheduled to be replaced by Washington/Wabash in 2017.
Randolph/Wabash opened on November 8, 1896 and was only used by trains on the Lake Street Elevated Railroad (now the western section of the Green Line). The original inner loop station house was replaced in 1957, and the outer loop station house was removed in the 1960s.
In popular culture
The station was used for exterior shots in the 1995 film While You Were Sleeping.
The station appeared in the 1987 film Adventures in Babysitting.
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2014 tally of stations was 145, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2014" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. March 5, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- Randolph/Wabash. Chicago-"L".org (URL accessed September 30, 2006).
- Cocu L - Shot on iPhone 6 "Shot on iPhone 6 by Cocu L"
Media related to Randolph/Wabash (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. IL-1-D, "Union Elevated Railroad, Randolph-Wabash Avenue Station"
- Randolph/Wabash Station Page at Chicago-L.org
- Randolph Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
|This article relating to the Chicago Transit Authority is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|