Rangiya Junction railway station
|Indian Railway Junction Station|
|Elevation||53 metres (174 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Northeast Frontier Railway|
|Line(s)||New Bongaigaon-Guwahati section
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
|Division(s)||Rangiya railway division|
Rangiya Junction railway station is a junction station on the New Bongaigaon-Guwahati section of Barauni-Guwahati line, and Rangia-Tezpur line of Rangia-Murkongselek section. It is located in Kamrup district in the Indian state of Assam. It serves Rangia and the surrounding areas.
In 1883–84 the 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) wide metre gauge line of Assam Behar State Railway met the Eastern Bengal Railway’s 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge line at Parbatipur. It reached Katihar in 1888-89 and in 1909 it reached Amingaon on the banks of the Brahmaputra, which could be crossed by ferry to reach Guwahati.
The new broad gauge track from New Bongaigaon to Guwahati was commissioned in 1984.
The 450 km (280 mi) long Rangia-Murkongselek line is being converted from 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) wide metre gauge to 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge. As of 2013, the work is expected to be completed soon.
Electrification of the Barauni-Katihar-Guwahati line was sanctioned in 2008. In the document on Vision 2020 – A Blue Print for Railway Electrification Programme, in the list of ongoing projects the entire route km (836) is shown as balance work as on 1 April 2010.
Doubling of the track between New Bongaigaon and Kamakhya via Rangia has been approved in the railway budget for 2013-14.
- John Hurd and Ian J.Kerr. "India’s Railway History: A Research Handbook". page 175, table 6-3. Koninklijke Brill NV, Leien, The Netherlands. ISBN 978-90-04-23003-3. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "IR History: Part V (1970-19950". IRFCA. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "50 yers of Saraighat bridge". The Times of India, 7 November 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Arunachal Pradesh soon on railway map". The Hindu Business Line, 29 February 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "CCEA approves Rs. 506 crores for Barauni-Katihar-Guwahati section". Projects Today. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Vision 2020 – A Blue Print for Railway Electrification Programme" (PDF). Ministry of Railways, Government of India. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Rail budget 2013: Wait for electric trains in India’s North-East gets longer". First post economy. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Rangiya Junction railway station at the India Rail Info
Rangia travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railway||Following station|
|Northeast Frontier Railway zone|
|Terminus||Northeast Frontier Railway zone