Rarotonga International Airport
|Rarotonga International Airport|
Rarotonga International Airport from the air
|Location||Avarua, Rarotonga, Cook Islands|
|Elevation AMSL||19 ft / 6 m|
Rarotonga International Airport (IATA: RAR, ICAO: NCRG) is the Cook Islands' main international gateway, located in the town and district of Avarua, Rarotonga, 3 km west of the downtown area on the northern coast.
Because of the close proximity of the runways to the nearby roads, it is possible to get very close to the aircraft while they are departing and landing. Runway 08, which is at the western end of the runway, in particular is often very popular when a large jet is landing.
Rarotonga International Airport was officially opened on 29th January 1974 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the site of a former United States World War II airbase. Local professional photographer Bill Johnson covered the Official Opening by Her Majesty who had flown on a direct flight from London to Rarotonga. Bill Johnson was the official photographer for the construction of the airport and did the full photographic documentation of the construction of the Rarotonga International Airport from start to completion. The construction was a joint venture between Gammon Milne Construction Company, New Zealand Government, Air New Zealand and Cook Islands Government.
In 2003, the terminal and departure and check-in areas were revamped at a cost of US $650,000. An $8.5m reconstruction project commenced in 2009 to revamp and expand the existing terminal facilities. The new-look terminal was officially opened on 22 June 2010.
Airlines and destinations
|Air New Zealand||Auckland, Los Angeles, Sydney
|Air Rarotonga||Aitutaki, Atiu, Mangaia, Mauke|
- "Revamp for airport check-in area" (Press release). Cook Islands Government. 9 August 2003. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "New $8.5m airport terminals opened". Cook Islands News. 22 June 2010. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- Gibson, Nevil. "Jetstar to launch Cook Islands service next March". National Business Review. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Virgin Australia Adds Christchurch – Rarotonga Link June – Oct 2016". Airline Route. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rarotonga International Airport.|
- Airport information for NCRG at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.