Real Insurance is a brand under which The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd, an Australian Insurer, distributes a wide range of general insurance products including Pet Insurance, Home & Contents, and Motor Insurance. Real Insurance also distributes a range of life insurance products on behalf of Hannover Life Re of Australasia Ltd, including Life Insurance, Final Expenses Insurance, Income Protection Insurance and Bill Insurance.
- Bill Cover
- Home and Contents
- Income Protection
Real Insurance was the first insurance company to offer a low kilometres car insurance policy to the Australian market. Introduced in 2008, Pay As You Drive (PAYD) insurance cover was aimed at low-mileage drivers, allowing them to specify in advance the number of kilometres they plan to drive, in return for reduced premiums. Setting the maximum number of kilometres at the start of the policy eliminates the privacy issues inherent in other types of usage-based car insurance, which may require drivers to have a monitoring device installed to track the kilometres they drive. This practice of monitoring has raised concerns about the information insurance companies can collect and store about their customers.
Sponsorships and Community Initiatives
Real Insurance sponsors a number of community events and initiatives, most notably:
Naming Rights partner of the International Netball Test Series
In 2014 Real Insurance became naming rights partner of the International Netball Test Series and official partners of Netball Australia and the Australian National Netball Team, the 'Australian Diamonds'. The 2014 series was played between England, New Zealand and Australia in October. The games were held in Melbourne, Sydney, Bendigo and Canberra.
Sydney Harbour 10K
Real Insurance first sponsored the Sydney Harbour 10K run in 2013, and continued this sponsorship in 2014. The course follows Sydney’s city harbourside, beginning and ending in the historic area of Sydney known as The Rocks.
NICUchat - an app by Miracle Babies Foundation
In 2014, Real Insurance funded the development of a community based app by Miracle Babies Foundation, designed to connect families who are caring for premature or sick new borns.
Real Insurance operates a social responsibility initiative known as Real Needs, which provides opportunities for its staff to do volunteer work for community organisations and charities in Sydney, where the company is based.
This initiative was extended in March 2015 to include a grants program offering grants between $5,000 and $20,000 for Australian charities supporting children and youth. In total they will be awarding $630,000 in grants. 
In partnership with Cycling Australia, Real Insurance sponsors the Mountain Bike Cross Country Marathon (XCM) Series. The annual series, which began in 2011 when four of Australia’s major XCM races were combined, is part of the Subaru Australian Mountain Bike Season. The XCM Series takes place all over Australia, and is open to both amateur and professional mountain bike riders. The competition awards cash prizes for the elite male and female riders in each round, as well as winners of the overall series.
Awards and recognition
Real Insurance has won the following industry awards for its products and business:
- 2014: Reader's Digest 'Trusted Brand Awards 2014': 'Highly Commended Trusted Brand Award' in both the Life and Funeral Insurance categories, as voted by Australian consumers.
- 2013: Money magazine's ‘Best of the Best – Cheapest Home & Contents Insurance’ award for its Essential Home & Contents insurance.
- 2013: Roy Morgan ‘Customer Satisfaction Award’ as Risk & Life Insurer of the Year.
- 2012: Roy Morgan ‘Customer Satisfaction Award’ as Risk & Life Insurer of the Year.
- 2012: Mozo’s ‘People's Choice’ award for its Car insurance.
- 2010: Australian Business Award: ‘Outstanding value’ for its Pay As You Drive car insurance.
- 2009: Celent Model Carrier ‘Product Innovation and Speed-to-market’ award for its Pay As You Drive car insurance.
- "Real Insurance". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Hannover Life Re of Australasia Limited". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Hollard's Real Insurance Rolls Out World's First "Trust-based" Pay Only As You Drive Product Using Exigen Insurance Solutions". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Paefgen, Johannes; Staake, Thorsten; Thiesse, Frederic (2012). "Resolving the Misalignment between Consumer Privacy Concerns and Ubiquitous IS Design: The Case of Usage-based Insurance". International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS).
- Barry, Keith. "Electronics and Gadgets Policy Safety Telematics FOLLOW WIRED Twitter Facebook RSS Insurance Company Telematics Trade Perks for Privacy". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Insurance brand sponsors netball tests". Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Real Insurance Netball Test Series". Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Real Insurance Sydney Harbour 10k is back!". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Sydney Harbour 10K - Home". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Miracle Babies Foundation". Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Real Needs". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Real Needs 2015". Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Real Insurance XCM Series returns as Cycling Australia announces 2014 season". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Real Insurance XCM Series, Powered By CycleNation". 6 February 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "2014 Real Insurance XCM Series". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "2014 Australia's most trusted brands". Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Best of the Best - Money reveals the winners". December 5, 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Roy Morgan announces 2013 winners of Customer Satisfaction Awards". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "2012 Australian Customer Satisfaction Awards Announced". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "People's Choice Awards 2012". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Australian Business Awards Product Innovation 2010 Winners". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Model Insurer Case Studies of Effective Technology Usage in Insurance: 2007-2013" (PDF). Retrieved 28 April 2014.