Apparently Secure (NatureServe)
informal group Sigmurethra
This slug is distinguished from similar species by the position of its respiratory pore toward the front of its mantle, the lack of a keel on its back, and a wrinkled surface. It varies in color from orange or red to brown or black. The fringe of its foot is red-striped and its tentacles are dark. It is 7 to 14 centimeters long and its mucus is sticky.
The eggs are about half a centimeter long and are whitish when new, turning yellow-brown.
- Arion (Arion) rufus (Linnaeus 1758), Large red slug MolluscIreland. National Museums Northern Ireland. 2010.
- Arion rufus. Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).
- Rosetta, R. European red slug. Pacific Northwest Nursery IPM. Oregon State University.
- Pearce, T. A., et al. Arion rufus (Linnaeus, 1758), Chocolate Arion. Identification Guide to Land Snails and Slugs of Western Washington.
- Arion rufus. NatureServe. 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arion rufus.|
- Arion rufus at Encyclopedia of Life (3 pages)
- Arion rufus at Animalbase taxonomy, short description, distribution, biology, status (threats), images