Stämpfli's childhood was spent in Switzerland. Her teenage years were spent in California, USA. She returned to Switzerland for college, studying history and political philosophy. She continued her studies in New York.
Stämpfli holds a doctorate in political science and also studied history and philosophy at the University of Bern. She is the author of many textbooks and articles dealing with issues such as democratic theory, European political decision making, women's history, design, political communications and political philosophy. She is also a well known political commentator on current affairs in Switzerland. 
Stämpfli is a columnist who writes on topics such as politics, philosophy, history, art and design. She is also an independent expert for the European Commission.
Dr. Regula Staempfli teaches History, Political Science and Political Philosophy at several Swiss and European educational institutions, including the University of Bern and Zurich. She is currently working as a political scientist in Brussels and as a part-time Professor at the Swiss College for Journalism in Lucerne. Since 1988, she has worked as a lecturer at the Media Training Center (CNAC) in Lucerne. Stämpfli is a member of the Ethics Council of Switzerland's official statistics, the Advisory Board of the International Forum of Design in Ulm, the Foundation Board of the Gosteliarchive and the University Council of the University of Applied Sciences Cologne. She is a columnist for Radio1 in Zuerich, the Politics-Expert for Radio 24 in Zurich, Media-Expert for www.kleinreport.ch, the German feminist magazine “Emma” and Columnist for “Sonntag” and “Leben&Glauben”.
- With the apron in the national defense. Emancipation of women and Swiss Military 1914-1945 Orell Füssli, Zurich 2002, ISBN 3-280-02820-5 (revised dissertation, University of Bern, 1999).
- From silent citizens to voters: The ABC of Swiss politics. Orell Füssli, Zurich 2003, ISBN 3-280-05016-2 .
- Christoph Dejung, Regula Stämpfli: Army, State and Gender: Switzerland in international comparison, 1918-1945. Chronos, Zurich 2003, ISBN 978-3-0340-0573-9 .
- The power of the right barber: About pictures, media and women. Bartleby, Brussels 2007, ISBN 978-2-930279-37-4 .
- Joseph Riegger (photos) Regula Stämpfli (text): Women without a mask. About women and their professions Stämpfli, Bern 2009, ISBN 978-3-7272-1123-2 .
- Outside Prada - empty inside? A philosophical kaleidoscope. Bartleby, Brussels 2010, ISBN 978-2-930279-41-1 .
- Measuring the woman. From Botox, hormones, and other madness. Gütersloher Publishing House, 2013, ISBN 978-3-579-06639-4 .
- Lebenslauf von Regula Stämpfli, verheiratete Stämpfli Reed. In: Regula Stämpfli: Mit der Schürze in die Landesverteidigung 1914–1945: Staat, Wehrpflicht und Geschlecht. Dissertation, Universität Bern, 1999, S. A52.
- "Dr. Regula Stämpfli". Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Biography of Regula Stämpfli, married Stämpfli Reed. In: Regula Stämpfli: With the apron in the National Defense 1914-1945. government, military and Gender Dissertation, University of Bern, 1999, p A52.
- Metahaven (2010). Uncorporate Identity. Lars Müller. pp. 565–571. ISBN 978-3037781692.
- Architecture of Hope. Volume Magazine. 2009.
- The World’s Fairest City Yours and Mine. Lars Müller Publishers. 2010. p. 184. ISBN 978-3-03778-186-9.
- Church, Clive H. Church (2007). Switzerland and the European Union: A Close, Contradictory and Misunderstood Relationship. Routledge. p. 288. ISBN 978-0-415-37199-5.