Ren Ng with Lytro light field camera in 2012.
September 21, 1979
|Occupation||Founder, Executive Chairman and Former CEO, Lytro|
Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley
Yi-Ren Ng (born September 21, 1979) is the founder, executive chairman and former CEO of Lytro, a Mountain View, California-based startup company. Lytro was developing consumer light-field cameras based on Ng's graduate research at Stanford University. Lytro ceased operations in late March of 2018.
Ng was born in Malaysia, and emigrated to Australia at the age of 9. He earned a B.S. degree in mathematical and computational science in 2001, an M.S. in computer science in 2002, and a Ph.D. in computer science in 2006, all from Stanford University. His doctoral dissertation, titled Digital Light Field Photography, received the 2006 ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award.
Ng interned at Microsoft from June 2000 to September 2000 and June 2003 to September 2003 while studying at Stanford. After graduation in 2006, Ng founded Lytro and was CEO for more than six years. On June 29, 2012, Ng announced that he would step aside as CEO in order to spend more time on the vision for the company and less on its day-to-day operations. Ng also would become executive chairman and remain at Lytro full-time. Charles Chi, then executive chairman, served as interim CEO until Ng chose former Ning chief Jason Rosenthal as Lytro's new CEO in March 2013 after a lengthy external search.
- Manu Kumar (June 22, 2011). "The Making of Lytro". Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- Ina Fried (June 21, 2011). "Meet the Stealthy Start-Up That Aims to Sharpen Focus of Entire Camera Industry". Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- Rachel Metz (November 21, 2005). "Say Sayonara to Blurry Pics". Wired News. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- Robertson, Adi (March 27, 2018). "VR camera maker Lytro is shutting down, and former employees are going to Google". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Price, Molly (March 27, 2018). "Google acquires some Lytro folks as the company shutters". CNET. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "This Domain Has Expired, To Renew Please Contact Your Provider". thephenomlist.com. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Conversation: Dr. Ren Ng, inventor of Lytro Camera". Perspactive: Mithaq Kazimi.
- "ACM Recognizes Contributors Who Advanced The Computing Field". March 29, 2007.
- "Exclusive: Lytro CEO Ren Ng to Step Aside, Become Executive Chairman - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD". allthingsd.com. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Lytro Names Former Ning Head Rosenthal as CEO - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD". allthingsd.com. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Error - RPS". rps.org. Retrieved July 20, 2016.