|Date of birth||14 April 1987|
|Place of birth||Savona, Italy|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2006–2008||→ Rovigo (loan)||54||(0)|
|2010–2011||→ Barletta (loan)||4||(0)|
|2011||→ Como (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 February 2015.
Born in Savona, Liguria, Dossena started his career with Ligurian club Genoa but was released in 2002; in the 2001–02 season Dossena and Danilo Russo were the two keepers for Genoa's under-15 team. He then spent his youth career at Empoli, Tuscany. He played 17 games (out of a possible 52 games) during the 2004–05 and 2005–06 seasons for Empoli F.C.'s reserve team.
In the 2005–06, he was also promoted to the first team as a backup keeper, and awarded the shirt number 37. He spent 2 seasons with Serie C2 club Rovigo in the 2006–07 and 2007–08 seasons, and played as a regular starter. Rovigo also signed him in a co-ownership deal in 2007.
In 2008–09 Serie B season, Dossena returned to Empoli and played as the understudy of Davide Bassi, ahead of Gianmarco D'Oria, and then ahead Alberto Pelagotti, in 2009–10 Serie B. In the 2010–11 Serie B season, Empoli loaned Bassi to Torino and sent Dossena to Barletta in another co-ownership deal; Empoli signed Jasmin Handanovič as a replacement and promoted Pelagotti to second choice keeper.
On 1 July 2011 he returned to Empoli. Although he was allowed to pick the number 1 shirt, the team's first choice was the fellow youth graduate Pelagotti. On the 30th matchday of the season, however, Dossena became the team's first choice keeper and was the protagonist in the club's victory in the relegation "play-out", which enabled his team to avoid relegation. Dossena only conceded 13 goals in his 14 appearances throughout the season, averaging fewer goals conceded per appearance than Pelagotti.
In the 10th round of 2012–13 Serie B season, Dossena became the understudy of Bassi once again.
- "Lista Svincolo" [List of free agents] (PDF) (in Italian). Lega Calcio. 25 July 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 April 2003. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Grifone baby: il futuro è in campo". la Repubblica (in Italian). Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso. 28 December 2001. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- Fullsoccer (in Italian)
- "Risoluzione delle comproprieta' azzurre" (in Italian). Empoli F.C. 25 June 2008. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "A Barletta arriva il portiere Dossena" (in Italian). S.S. Barletta Calcio. 26 August 2010. Archived from the original on 1 May 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Il Barletta rimedia una sconfitta contro il Fondi" (in Italian). S.S. Barletta Calcio. 1 September 2010. Archived from the original on 9 June 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Il Barletta pareggia 1-1 contro il Campobasso" (in Italian). S.S. Barletta Calcio. 8 September 2010. Archived from the original on 9 June 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Live News Calcio Mercato - Definitivo" [Live Football Market, Definite] (in Italian). S.S. Barletta Calcio. 31 January 2011. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "DOSSENA REGALA LA B ALL'EMPOLI" (in Italian). Lega Serie B. 8 June 2012. Archived from the original on 10 June 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Ecco il portiere Renato Dossena." (in Italian). Football Club Unione Venezia. 2 September 2013. Archived from the original on 4 April 2014. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "INFORTUNIO A DOSSENA" (in Italian). Carpi F.C. 1909. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 13 September 2015.