This article needs to be updated.(April 2017)
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SALE|
|Founded||October 27, 2006
Austin, Texas, U.S.
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Revenue||US$ 249.1 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references
RetailMeNot, Inc. (formerly Whaleshark Media) is an American multinational company headquartered in Austin, that maintains a collection of coupon web sites. The company was founded by Cotter Cunningham. The company owns RetailMeNot.com and VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest coupon sites in the US and UK, respectively, and acquires coupon sites and third-party software.
RetailMeNot was established to aggregate coupon offers[clarification needed] and make them available to consumers. It distributes over 500,000 coupons from over 50,000 stores in retail categories including accessories, automotive, baby products, beauty products, clothing, electronics, furniture, health, home & garden, jewelry, pets, photography, toys and travel.
Founded in 2006 by Australian entrepreneurs Guy King and Bevan Clark. The two had previously collaborated on BugMeNot, a site that allowed users to share fake identities in order to avoid website registrations and content paywalls, and a content management system CushyCMS. The company was acquired by Whaleshark Media in 2010.The company raised $300 million in funding from Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, JP Morgan and Google Ventures. Eventually acquiring the already established coupon site RetailMeNot.com from Australia, the company changed its name in 2013 to RetailMeNot.
As Whaleshark Media, the company acquired sites[which?] in the US and Europe. After changing its name to RetailMeNot in June 2013 for branding purposes, the company filed an IPO for $230 million in 2013.
Mary Kay Cosmetics sued affiliate site RetailMeNot in federal court for displaying coupons on their site despite the fact they have been asked to take them down. Mary Kay's position is that the display of Mary Kay coupons misleads consumers and harms the brand and its relationship with its sales reps (independent consultants) in several ways. The lawsuit was resolved after several months by way of confidential settlement.
RetailMeNot's acquisitions include:
- RetailMeNot.com, a digital coupon site in the United States
- eConversions, the parent company of Gutschein-Codes.de in Germany and VoucherCodes.co.uk, a voucher code site in the United Kingdom
- Deals.com in Germany (since 2015 called Retailmenot.de)
- ActiePagina.nl, a voucher code site in the Netherlands
- Ma-Reduc.com and Poulpeo.com, digital coupon and cash back sites in France
- ZenDeals.com, a North American coupon site (October 9, 2013)
- Giftcard Zen Inc, a North American gift card exchange site (April 5, 2016)
- "RetailMeNot.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- "FoxBusiness". Google. June 18, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "RetailMeNot Executive Page". RetailMeNot. Feb 10, 2015. Retrieved Feb 10, 2015.
- "Revealed: the brains behind Bugmenot". Guy King and Bevan Clark.
- Deleon. "CushyCMS Beta Launch: Free Invites For TechCrunch Readers | TechCrunch". Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- ARRINGTON, MICHAEL. "Google Ventures Invests In Coupon Startup Whaleshark Media". TechCrunch.
- RAO, LEENA. "Online Coupon Giant RetailMeNot (Formerly WhaleShark Media) Files For $230M IPO". TechCrunch.
- "Mary Kay Cosmetics Sues RetailMeNot For Fraud, Trademark Infringement". Marketing Land. 2015-03-18. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "RetailMeNot and Mary Kay Settle Coupon Code Fight". Coupons in the News. 2015-09-29. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "EX-99.1". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- lalorek. "RetailMeNot Buys GiftCard Zen". SiliconHills. Retrieved 2016-06-15.