Richard J. Bauckham FBA FRSE (born 22 September 1946) is an English Anglican scholar in theology, historical theology and New Testament studies, specialising in New Testament Christology and the Gospel of John. He is a senior scholar at Ridley Hall, Cambridge.
In 2006, Bauckham published Jesus and the Eyewitnesses, described by many scholars as a paradigm shift in Gospels study. In this book, Bauckham argues that the Synoptic Gospels are based "quite closely" on the testimony of eyewitnesses, while the Gospel of John is written by an eyewitness, against the current scholarly consensus that the Synoptic Gospels are closer to the eyewitnesses and John further removed. Bauckham updated and expanded the book to respond to critics in a second edition, published in 2017. Also, his classic work, The Theology of the Book of Revelation, is considered one of the best introductions to Revelation available.
Life and career
Bauckham was born in London and studied at the University of Cambridge, where he read history at Clare College (1966–72) and was a fellow of St John's College (1972–75). He taught theology for one year at the University of Leeds and for fifteen years at the University of Manchester (1977–1992), where he was the Lecturer in the History of Christian Thought before moving to St Andrews in 1992. He is a fellow of the British Academy and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Bauckham was, until 2007, the Professor of New Testament Studies and Bishop Wardlaw Professor in the University of St Andrews. He has since retired in order to concentrate on research and writing, and is a senior scholar at Ridley Hall in Cambridge, and a visiting professor at St Mellitus College in London.
Research and teaching areas
Bauckham has been published in a variety of fields in New Testament studies and early Christianity. He has also published on the theology of the German theologian Jürgen Moltmann. His current research interests include Jesus and the Gospels, New Testament Christology, and the relevance of the Bible to ecological issues.
He gave the Sarum Lectures for 2006 on "Beyond Stewardship: The Bible and the Community of Creation". He also gave a series of the Scottish Journal of Theology Lectures in Aberdeen on "The Gospels as History: Comparisons with Ancient and Modern Historiography".
- Christianity Today Book Award in Biblical Studies (2007) for Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony.
- Burkitt Medal (2008) in recognition of special service to Biblical Studies.
- Michael Ramsey Prize (2009) for Jesus and the Eyewitnesses : The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony.
- Franz-Delitzsch-Award (2010) for The Jewish World around the New Testament.
- Tudor Apocalypse: Sixteenth-century Apocalypticism, Millenarianism and the English Reformation (1978).
- 2 Peter, Jude. Word Biblical Commentary Collection (1983), Thomas Nelson.
- Moltmann: Messianic Theology in the Making (1987).
- The Bible in Politics: How to Read the Bible Politically (1989).
- Word Biblical Themes: Jude, 2 Peter (1990).
- Jude and the Relatives of Jesus in the Early Church (1990).
- The Theology of the Book of Revelation (1993), Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-35691-6.
- The Climax of Prophecy: Studies on the Book of Revelation (1993).
- The Theology of Jürgen Moltmann (1995), T&T Clark.
- The Fate of the Dead: Studies on the Jewish and Christian Apocalypses (1998). Supplementum to Novum Testamentum 93.
- God Crucified: Monotheism and Christology in the New Testament (1998).
- James: Wisdom of James, Disciple of Jesus the Sage' (1999), New Testament Readings.
- Gospel Women: Studies of the Named Women in the Gospels (2002).
- Bible and Mission: Christian Mission in a Postmodern World (2003).
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony (2006).
- Finding God in the Midst of Life: Old Stories for Contemporary Readers (with Trevor Hart) (2006).
- The Testimony of the Beloved Disciple: Narrative, History, and Theology in the Gospel of John (2007).
- The Jewish World around the New Testament: Collected Essays I (2008).
- Jesus and the God of Israel: God Crucified and Other Studies on the New Testament's Christology of Divine Identity (2008) ISBN 978-0-8028-4559-7
- The Bible and Politics: How to Read the Bible Politically (2010), 2nd edition.
- Bible and Ecology: Rediscovering the Community of Creation (2010).
- Jesus: A Very Short Introduction (2011).
- Living with Other Creatures: Green Exegesis and Theology (2011).
- Gospel of Glory: Major Themes in Johannine Theology (2015).
- The Bible in the Contemporary World: Hermeneutical Ventures (2016).
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony, second edition (2017).
- "The eschatological earthquake in the Apocalypse of John." Novum Testamentum 19.Fasc. 3 (1977): 224-233.
- "Barnabas in Galatians." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 1.2 (1979): 61-70.
- "The Fall of the Angels as the Source of Philosophy in Hermias and Clement of Alexandria." Vigiliae Christianae 39.4 (1985): 313-330.
- "The Apocalypses in the New Pseudepigrapha." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 26 (February 1986): 97-117.
- "Theodicy from Ivan Karamazov to Moltmann." Modern Theology 4, 1 (October 1987): 83-97.
- "Pseudo-Apostolic Letters." Journal of Biblical Literature 107, 3 (September 1988): 469-494.
- "The List of the Tribes in Revelation 7 Again." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 42 (June 1991): 99-115.
- "Salome the Sister of Jesus, Salome the Disciple of Jesus, and the Secret Gospel of Mark." Novum Testamentum 33, 3 (July 1991): 245-275.
- "The Beloved Disciple as Ideal Author." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 49 (March 1993): 21-44.
- "The Brothers and Sisters of Jesus: An Epiphanian Response to John P. Meier." Catholic Biblical Quarterly 56, 4 (1994): 686-700.
- "Tamar's Ancestry and Rahab's Marriage: Two Problems in the Matthean Genealogy" Novum Testamentum 37, 4 (1995): 313-329.
- "The Parable of the Royal Wedding Feast (Matthew 22:1-14) and the Parable of the Lame Man and the Blind Man (Apocryphon of Ezekial)." Journal of Biblical Literature 115, 3 (Fall 1996): 471-488.
- "The Messianic Interpretation of Isa. 10: 34 in the Dead Sea Scrolls, 2 Baruch and the Preaching of John the Baptist." Dead Sea Discoveries (1995): 202-216.
- "Kingdom and Church According To Jesus and Paul1." Horizons in Biblical Theology 18.1 (1996): 1-26.
- "The Acts of Paul: Replacement of Acts or Sequel to Acts?" Semeia 80 (1997): 159-168.
- "The Book of Ruth and the Possibility of a Feminist Canonical Hermeneutic" Biblical Interpretation 5, 1 (January 1997): 29-45.
- "What if Paul Had Travelled East Rather Than West?" Biblical Interpretation 8, 1-2 (2000): 171-184.
- "The Eyewitnesses and the Gospel Traditions,”." Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 1.1 (2003): 28-60.
- "Judgment in the Book of Revelation." Ex Auditu 20 (2004): 1-24.
- "Eyewitnesses and Critical History: A Response to Jens Schröter and Craig Evans." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 31, 2 (December 2008): 221-235.
- "In Response to My Respondents: Jesus and the Eyewitnesses in Review." Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 6.2 (2008): 225-253.
- "The Eyewitnesses in the Gospel of Mark." Svensk exegetisk årsbok 74 (2009): 19-39.
- "A Response to Professor Moltmann." Theology 113, 872 (March–April 2010): 95-96.
- "Hell In The Latin Vision Of Ezra." Other Worlds and Their Relation to This World. Brill, 2010. 323-342.
- "Seeking the Identity of Jesus." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 32, 3 (March 2010): 337-346.
- "The Story of the Earth According to Paul: Romans 8:18-23." Review & Expositor 108, 1 (Winter 2011): 91-97.
- "The Caiaphas Family." Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 10.1 (2012): 3-31.
- "Did Papias Write History or Exegesis?" The Journal of Theological Studies 65.2 (2014): 463-488.
- Bauckham, Richard and Stefano de Luca. "Magdala As We Know It." Early Christianity 6 (2015): 91-118.
- "Further Thoughts on the Migdal Synagogue Stone." Novum Testamentum 57.2 (2015): 113-135.
- "The General and the Particular in Memory." Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 14.1 (2016): 28-51.
- See also Historicity of Jesus and Historical reliability of the Gospels
- "Top 5 Commentaries on the Book of Revelation". Ligonier Ministries. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "BURKITT MEDAL FOR BIBLICAL STUDIES 2008". Prizes and medals. British Academy. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.