This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Richard Charkin (born 17 June 1949) is a British publishing executive. He has held executive positions at Pergamon Press, Oxford University Press, Reed International/Reed Elsevier and Current Science Group, and is the former Chief Executive of Macmillan Publishers Limited and Executive Director of Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck. In 2015, he became President of the International Publishers Association.
Charkin has an MA in Natural Sciences from Trinity College Cambridge, and attended the six-week Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School. He was a Supernumerary Fellow of Green College, Oxford and is currently visiting professor at the University of the Arts London.
- Science Editor, Harrap & Co. 1972–73
- Senior Publishing Manager, Life Sciences, Pergamon Press 1973–74
- Oxford University Press: medical books editor 1974–76, Head of Science and Medical Division 1976–80, Head of Reference Division 1980–84, Managing Director Academic Division 1984–88
- Executive Director Octopus Publishing Group (Reed) 1988–1990
- Chief Executive Reed Consumer Books 1990-94 & Reed International Books 1994–95
- Managing Director Current Science Group 1995–96
- CEO worldwide, Macmillan Ltd 1997–2007
- Executive Director Bloomsbury plc 2007–
- Council member and former President of the UK Publishers Association
- President of International Publishers Association 2015–
- Charkin Blog, The Archive, Macmillan, 2008.
- The Lowdown: top tips for wannabe CEOs (with Richard Pettinger), Creative Content Ltd, 2009
- "The board - Corporate and Investor Relations - Bloomsbury.com". bloomsbury-ir.co.uk.
- "Richard Charkin". huffingtonpost.com.