|Richard E. Hammel|
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 48th district
January 1, 2007 – December 31, 2012
|Preceded by||John J. Gleason|
|Succeeded by||Pam Faris|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan-Flint|
Hammel served on the Genesee County, Michigan Board of Commissioners and served as its chair before being elected to the Michigan State House of Representatives in 2006. Hammel defeated Ralph C. Burger for the 48th District Michigan State Representative seat in 2008 then repeated in 2010 by defeating Susan Culver in 2010. Democratic Representatives selected him as minority leader for the legislative session beating out fellow Genesee County representative Woodrow Stanley.
- Michigan House of Representative Elections
|2008||28,245||13,698||Ralph C. Burger, (R)|
|2010||15,322||11,401||Susan Culver (R)|
- Longley, Kristin (October 27, 2008). "Taxes and job retraining lead campaign issues in the 48th District". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "November 2008 general election results for contested races in Flint Journal coverage area". The Flint Journal. November 5, 2008. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Raymer, Marjory (November 3, 2010). "Genesee County election results at a glance". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- AlHajal, Khalil (November 9, 2010). "Local Rep. Richard E. Hammel to lead Democrats in state House". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 14 April 2011.