|Born||March 25, 1945|
Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy
School for International Training
|Occupation||Director, Center for Faith and Public Life at Fairfield University|
|Notable work||Authority on migration issues and social justice|
|Board member of||World Youth Alliance
The International Institute of Connecticut
Richard Ryscavage, S.J., is director of the Center for Faith and Public Life and a professor of sociology and international studies at Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut. He is also an internationally recognized expert on migration issues.
Ryscavage served as executive director of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Office of Migration and Refugee Services in Washington, D.C., where he oversaw annual federal grants of more than $40 million. He was also president of Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services, set up by the bishops to help new immigrants, and president of the Catholic Legal Immigration Network (CLINIC).
He served as national director of Jesuit Refugee Service USA, a nongovernmental organization operating in fifty countries. He organized the first program to provide religious coordinators for immigration detention facilities of the United States Department of Homeland Security. He was the first Arrupe Tutor at the Refugee Studies Centre of Oxford University in England.
In 2006 Ryscavage was appointed official adviser to the delegation of the Holy See to the 61st United Nations General Assembly, and participated as one of the Vatican representatives in the “High Level Dialogue on Migration” convened by the UN Secretary General.
He has been a member of the Federal government's Interagency Task Force on Unaccompanied Children, which includes members of the U.S. State Dept., DHS, Justice, and HHS, and special advisor to President Obama.
Ryscavage received his bachelor's degree and an honorary doctorate from Assumption College. He earned his master's degrees in law and diplomacy from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, in political philosophy from Boston College, in divinity from the Weston School of Theology, and in international administration from the School for International Training.
- WYA board. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- IICONN. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- Richard Ryscavage, S.J. Accessed December 4, 2010
- World Youth Alliance Board of Director Profile, accessed December 4, 2010
- Columbia U. forum. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- The Society of Catholic Social Scientist 15th Annual Meeting Panelist Profile, accessed December 4, 2010
- Director Profile. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- CAAP-USA. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- Human Events. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- NY Times. Accessed 29 September 2016.
- Fairfield University College of Arts & Sciences International Studies Faculty, accessed December 4, 2010