Richard Neil Haythornthwaite
December 1956 (age 63)
|Alma mater||The Queen's College, Oxford|
MIT Sloan School of Management
|Known for||Chairman of MasterCard, Centrica and Creative Industries Federation|
Richard Neil Haythornthwaite, known as Rick, (born December 1956) is a British business executive. He has led several companies and is currently Chairman of MasterCard and the Creative Industries Federation.
Richard Neil Haythornthwaite was born in December 1956. He graduated from The Queen's College, Oxford, where he received a bachelor of science degree in geology. He earned a master's degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management as a Sloan Fellow.
Haythornthwaite served as the Chief Executive for Europe and Asia and Group Chief Executive of Blue Circle Industries from 1997 to 2001, until its merger with Lafarge for GBP£3.1 billion in cash. He served as the Chief Executive Officer of Invensys from 2001 to 2005. He was a partner of Star Capital Partners from 2006 to 2008. He also served as the Chairman of Network Rail.
Haythornthwaite served on the Boards of Directors of the Imperial Chemical Industries, Lafarge, Premier Oil and Land Securities. On 6 March 2018 he joined the global independent investment bank, Moelis & Company, as an Advisory Partner in the U.K. He was Chairman of Centrica from January 2014 to February 2019.
Haythornthwaite served as the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Southbank Centre for seven years, standing down in January 2015. He also served as member of the board of the World Wide Web Foundation. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
He was nicknamed "Slick Rick" in a single newspaper piece but the sobriquet has never been used since.
- "Centrica plc". Companies House. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Board of Directors". MasterCard. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Company Overview of STAR Capital Partners Limited: Richard N. Haythornthwaite". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Richard Haythornthwaite profile at World Economic Forum". WEForum.org. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Governance". Centrica. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- Kavanagh, Michael (October 4, 2013). "Centrica appoints Rick Haythornthwaite as chairman". Financial Times. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- Macalister, Terry (October 4, 2013). "Ex-Network Rail boss to head Centrica". The Guardian. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Creative Industries Federation announces new chair taking over from Sir John Sorrell". Design Week. 7 March 2017.
- Spink, Christopher. "MOVES-Moelis expands energy practice". U.S. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "Centrica appoints a new Non-Executive Director and Chairman Designate". Centrica. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Board of Governors". Southbank Centre. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Our Board". World Wide Web Foundation. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Richard Haythornthwaite". World Economic Forum. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- Pfeifer, Sylvia (February 8, 2004). "Third time lucky for Slick Rick?". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved October 21, 2015.