|Full name||Richard Schantz|
|Phoenix Rising (head coach)|
|2017||Phoenix Rising (interim)|
Rick Schantz is an American soccer coach. He co-founded FC Tucson in 2010 and was its first head coach. He is currently the head coach of Phoenix Rising FC (albeit on administrative leave) in the USL Championship.
- As of November 2, 2019
|FC Tucson||October 10, 2010||January 8, 2017||110||71||22||17||64.55|
|Phoenix Rising FC (Interim)||April 24, 2017||May 21, 2017||7||3||4||0||42.86|
|Phoenix Rising FC (Interim)||June 12, 2018||November 13, 2018||24||15||7||2||62.50|
|Phoenix Rising FC||November 14, 2018||present||37||25||6||6||67.57|
During a Phoenix Rising game with San Diego Loyal on September 30, 2020, midfielder Junior Flemmings was accused of using a Jamaican homophobic slur against the openly gay Loyal midfielder Collin Martin. Loyal, who had been leading 3-1 up to that point, walked off the field in protest and forfeited the match.
Video capturing an exchange between Rising coach Rich Schantz and Loyal coach Landon Donovan over the incident led to claims of Schantz telling Donovan that the incident was "part of the game," that the players were "competing," as well as accusations that Schantz tried to downplay the incident. Schantz later denied such accusations, saying his words were "misconstrued," and that he was not excusing "any alleged homophobic behavior" from his players.
The incident led to an investigation by USL Championship, and Schantz was placed on administrative leave following the incident. Team officials, however, say Schantz's placement on administrative leave was unrelated to the investigation.
- "SD Loyal ask for respect for player, coach and Phoenix Rising team over homophobic slur allegation". KFMB-TV. October 4, 2020. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "USA - R. Schantz - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway". au.soccerway.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- "Rick Schantz". www.phxrisingfc.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Cluff, Jeremy (October 1, 2020). "Former FC Tucson coach Rick Schantz: I was 'in no way excusing' alleged homophobic slur". Arizona Daily Star. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- Estrada, Lorenzino (September 30, 2020). "San Diego players walk off field in protest against Phoenix Rising FC, claim homophobic slur used". Arizona Republic. azcentral. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Zeigler, Mark (September 30, 2020). "San Diego Loyal walks off field after alleged homophobic slur". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Mendola, Nicholas (October 6, 2020). "USL Championship suspends Flemmings for homophobic slur". NBC Sports. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "Team's forfeit over alleged homophobic slur shows there's "something bigger at stake," coach Landon Donovan says". CBS News. October 2, 2020. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "Phoenix Rising coach responds after player accused of using homophobic slur". KNXV-TV. October 1, 2020. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
|This biographical article related to soccer in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|