Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti
|Headquarters||Morristown, New Jersey|
|No. of offices||3 offices|
|No. of attorneys||approximately 150|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Glenn A. Clark, Managing Partner|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland & Perretti LLP is one of the most prestigious law firms in the state of New Jersey. Founded in 1882, it is among the state's oldest firms. The firm is based in Morristown, New Jersey and also has offices in Trenton, New Jersey and New York City.
In 2012, The National Law Journal ranked the firm as the 258th largest in the United States by headcount.
History and Practice Areas
The origins of Riker Danzig trace back to 1882, when the firm Riker and Riker opened its practice in Newark, NJ. In 1948, the firm merged with Emerson, Emery & Danzig to form Riker, Emery & Danzig, at which point the firm had the reputation as one of the top litigation firms in the state, whose clients included Fidelity Union Trust Company. The firm's name took its current form in 1985.
Today, the firm has a broad range of practice areas, including significant practices in commercial litigation, energy, tax and trusts and estates, financial services, labor and employment, education law, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, insurance and reinsurance, real estate, environmental law and white collar criminal defense. The firm also has a very successful bankruptcy practice, representing large businesses in Chapter 11 proceedings. The firm also does lobbying work within the New Jersey State Legislature.
Twenty-Eight of the firm's practices were ranked in the top tier in New Jersey by U.S. News in 2015. These practice areas include arbitration, corporate law, commercial litigation, employment law, energy law, government regulations, and mergers & acquisition law.
The firm renewed its lease of its headquarters in August 2015, renewing its commitment to Morristown, New Jersey through 2025. As part of the agreement, the offices will undergo an interior redesign.
New York Expansion
Riker Danzig expanded its New York office in 2015, adding three partners from Dilworth Paxson in New York. While the firm has been primarily focused on its New Jersey clients since its founding, the New York office is two-and-a-half years old. The addition is aimed at bolstering the firm's core practice areas of litigation, bankruptcy, and corporate transactional work. 
Notable lawyers and alumni
A number of state and national political figures have worked for the firm, including:
- John J. Farmer, Jr., former New Jersey Attorney General who briefly served as Governor of New Jersey, served as an associate at the firm from 1988 to 1990.
- Peter C. Harvey, former New Jersey Attorney General under Governor Jim McGreevey and former partner of Riker Danzig.
- William F. Hyland, former New Jersey Attorney General under Governor Brendan Byrne.
- Nicholas Katzenbach, the former United States Attorney General and Under Secretary of State, became a partner at Riker Danzig after retiring as general counsel of IBM.
- Peter N. Perretti, Jr., former New Jersey Attorney General and former partner at the firm.
- William J. Hughes, former congressman for New Jersey's 2nd congressional district, currently of counsel to the firm.
- Dickinson Richards Debevoise, Senior District Judge on the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, is a former partner at the firm.
- Marie Garibaldi, former partner who went on to become the first female Justice on the Supreme Court of New Jersey in 1982.
- Anne M. Patterson, current New Jersey Supreme Court justice, former partner of Riker Danzig.
- Stewart G. Pollock, former New Jersey Supreme Court justice, currently of counsel to the firm.
- Sidney M. Schreiber, former New Jersey Supreme Court justice, deceased.
- Firm history
- Full list of practice areas
- Riker's bankruptcy group
- Riker's lobbying & government affairs practice group