Robert D. McFadden
|Robert D. McFadden|
|Born||Robert Dennis McFadden
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
|Notable credit(s)||The New York Times|
McFadden was born in Milwaukee and raised in both Chicago and the small town of Cumberland, Wisconsin. He attended the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and graduated from the journalism school of the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1960 with a B.S. in Journalism. He moved to New York City in 1961 with the intention of applying to only one newspaper - the only paper for which he wanted to work - and his hopes were realized when he was soon hired by The New York Times. His literary writing style, strict adherence to journalistic principles, and tireless ability to "beat the deadline" won him accolades as both a writer and journalist, and he has since received numerous awards for excellence in journalism. McFadden, a celebrated Senior Writer, has remained at the Times for over 50 years, and continues his work through the present day. In 1996, he won the annual Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Reporting, citing "his highly skilled writing and reporting on deadline during the year" (1995). McFadden and his wife Judith have a son named Nolan and live in Manhattan, New York.
From 1957 to 1958, McFadden was a reporter for The Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune. From 1958 to 1959, he was a reporter for The Wisconsin State Journal in Madison and after he graduated from college, worked for The Cincinnati Enquirer. In 1961, he was hired by The New York Times, where he remainined for the next five decades as a reporter and rewrite man. His writing has covered a wide range of topics including plane crashes, hurricanes, strikes, blackouts, government affairs, health, crime, transportation, politics, education, the environment, and mass media.
- No Hiding Place: The New York Times Inside Report on the Hostage Crisis, by McFadden, Joseph B. Treaster and Maurice Carroll (1981); ISBN 0-8129-0980-1 ISBN 9780812909807
- "Outrage: The Story Behind the Tawana Brawley Hoax" (Bantam, 1990)
Awards and honors
McFadden has won 17 major journalism awards and 8 New York Times Publisher's Awards. He was also named a Senior Writer in January 1990.
- New York Press Club's Byline Award for Spot News Reporting in 1973, 1974, 1980, 1987 and 1989
- New York Newspaper Guild's Page One Award for Local Reporting
- Peter Kihss Award of the New York Society of Silurians
- University of Wisconsin Chancellor's Award for Distinguished Service to Journalism and Mass Communication
- "The 1996 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Spot News Reporting". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-04-24. With short biography and reprints of eleven works (New York Times articles February 6 to December 9, 1995).
- "Robert D. McFadden". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Brennan, E.A.; Clarage, E.C. (1999). Who's who of Pulitzer Prize Winners. Oryx Press. p. 634. ISBN 9781573561112. Retrieved 2015-06-12.