|Robert Malcolm Goldwyn|
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
|Died||March 23, 2010
Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
|Alma mater||Harvard Medical School (M.D.),
Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (Residency),
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Fellowship)
|Occupation||Academic, editor-in-chief and plastic surgeon|
|Spouse(s)||Tatyana Robson Goldwyn,
Roberta Goldwyn (deceased)
Robert Malcolm Goldwyn (Worcester, Massachusetts, 1930–2010) was an American surgeon; an author, activist, Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School, and Chief of Plastic Surgery at the Beth Israel Hospital from 1972 to 1996. He was the editor-in-chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for 25 years.
Goldwyn graduated with a M.D. from Harvard Medical School. During his internship and residency (1956–1961) at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts he was also the Harvey Cushing Fellow in Surgery. His training in plastic surgery was at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center from 1961 to 1963.
Activism and Preservation
In 1960, he worked with Dr. Albert Schweitzer in Lambaréné, Gabon for two months. In 1972, he established The National Archives of Plastic Surgery in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine.
Awards and Honors
When the New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons established the Robert M. Goldwyn Lifetime Achievement Award and made Goldwyn its first recipient, he stated, "I do not really deserve this. But as Jack Benny said, ‘I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either.’
Goldwyn was a Visiting Professor to more than 70 institutions, universities, and hospitals in the United States and abroad and was an honorary member of more than a dozen national and international societies of plastic surgery. He was President of the 1994 Meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons in St. Louis, Missouri. He was honored by France, Germany, and Italy with their highest medals for his work in plastic and reconstructive surgery. In Berlin, at the 2007 International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, he presented the inaugural "Ulrich Hinderer Memorial Lecture". His other awards include the 2005 Honorary Kazanjian Lectureship, 1991 Clinician of the Year of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons, the 2004 American Association of Plastic Surgeons Honorary Award, and the Presidential Citation of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
As a writer, he authored or co-authored more than 350 articles, more than 50 chapters, and edited books including The Unfavorable Result in Plastic Surgery: Avoidance and Treatment, Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast, Long-Term Results in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reduction Mammaplasty, The Patient and the Plastic Surgeon, The Operative Note, The Physician Traveler (18 volumes), and an autobiography, Beyond Appearance: Reflections of a Plastic Surgeon.
Marking his retirement in 2004 as editor-in-chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Goldwyn was presented the American Society of Plastic Surgeons Special Recognition Award during the Plastic Surgery 2004 opening ceremonies in Philadelphia. The Journal's circulation, which was 5,100 when Goldwyn took over in 1980, by 2004 had achieved the number one peer-reviewed impact factor among all plastic surgery journals worldwide.
His final book, Retired not dead: thoughts plastic surgical and otherwise, was published in 2008.
- http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2004/10001/Robert_M__Goldwyn,_M_D.3.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, October 2004, Volume 114
- Murray, Joseph E. M.D., http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2004/10001/Bob_Goldwyn.4.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, October 2004, Volume 114, accessed March 20, 2011.
- http://www.aaps1921.org/files/newsletter/AAPS_Newsletter_September2004.pdf AAPS Newsletter, AAPS News From the 2004 Annual Meeting, October, 2004, accessed March 20, 2011.
- Bhattacharya, Surajit http://www.isaps.org/uploads/news_pdf/ISAPS_NL_Interactivefred_Vol4_Num2.pdf ISAPS News, Official Newsletter of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Volume 4, Number 2, accessed March 20, 2011.
- https://www.countway.harvard.edu/chm/rarebooks/exhibits/plastic_surgery/index.html, accessed March 13, 2011.
- Sidel, Victor W. M.D., and Robert M. Goldwyn, M.D., http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM196601062740105 Chemical and Biologic Weapons — A Primer, N Engl J Med 1966; 274:21-27
- http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2004/10001/Robert_M__Goldwyn,_M_D.3.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, October 2004, Volume 114, accessed March 16, 2011.
- http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1966/4/20/two-med-school-doctors-criticize-use/ "Two Med School Doctors Criticize Use of Chemical, Germ Weapons" The Harvard Crimson, April 20, 1966, accessed March 16, 2011.
- Nashua, N.H., http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2010/08000/Robert_M__Goldwyn,_M_D_,_Tribute.72.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, August 2010, Volume 126, Issue 2, p 697, doi:10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181e50482, accessed March 20, 2011.
- http://www.aaps1921.org/about_PastPresidents.cgi AAPS Past Presidents and Meetings, accessed March 16, 2011
- Negri, Gloria, http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/obituaries/articles/2010/04/06/robert_goldwyn_79_author_renowned_plastic_surgeon/ The Boston Globe, April 6, 2010, accessed March 13, 2011.
- Olbrisch, Rolf R, http://www.dgpraec.de/uploads/tx_abdownloads/files/PlastChir_2008_Festschrift.pdf?uid=112&downl=1 Plastische Chirurgie, 8: Supplement 2 (2008), accessed May 20, 2011.
- http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Departments_and_Services/surgery/medical_professionals/surged/PlasticSurgery/PreviousKazanjianLecturers.aspx Varaztad H. Kazanjian Lectureship Previous Lecturers, accessed March 16, 2011
- http://www.aaps1921.org/awards_recipients_Clinician.cgi AAPS Clinican Of The Year Award Recipients, accessed March 16, 2011
- http://www.aaps1921.org/awards_recipients_Clinician.cgi AAPS Honorary Award Recipients, accessed March 16, 2011
- http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2004/10001/Robert_M__Goldwyn,_M_D.3.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, October 2004, Volume 114, accessed March 20, 2011.
- Sweeney, Benedict J. http://www.leonardoshands.com/leonardos-hands-about-us-goldwyn-more.html Leonardo's Hands: More about Dr. Robert Goldwyn, 2007, accessed March 13, 2011.
- Rohrich, Rod J. et al., http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2010/08000/To_Have_Some_Friends__A_Tribute_to_Robert_Goldwyn,.70.aspx Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, August 2010, Volume 126, Issue 2, pp 691-695, doi:10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181e5049c, accessed March 20, 2011.
- http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Retired-Not-Dead/Robert-Goldwyn/e/9781905904426 ISBN 978-1-905904-42-6, accessed March 20, 2011.
- Cooney, Elizabeth, http://www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2010/04/todays_globe_100.html The Boston Globe, April 6, 2010, accessed March 13, 2011.