Robert Hughes (American football)
Hughes in the 2014 NFL season.
|No. 39 Arizona Cardinals|
|Date of birth:||June 21, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Chicago, Illinois|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Chicago (IL) Hubbard|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Roster status:||Practice squad|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Robert Hughes (born June 21, 1989) is an American football running back for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for University of Notre Dame, where he ran for 1,392 yards on 321 attempts, as well as catching 43 passes for 370 yards. He was signed by the Chicago Bears as undrafted free agent in 2011.
After not being drafted in the 2011 NFL Draft, Hughes signed with the Chicago Bears on July 27, 2011. Despite running for 69 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries, as well as having two receptions for 26 yards in the preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns, Hughes was cut by the Bears for final cuts before the start of the 2011 season.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Hughes signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 19, 2012. Robert recorded stats in 2 preseason games for the Bucs totaling 2 carries for 4 yards (2.0 yards average) and 2 receptions for 23 yards (11.5 yards average). He was released by the team on August 31 during final roster cut downs before the start of the 2012 season narrowly missing making the team.
Hughes was signed to the Indianapolis Colts practice squad on October 10, 2012. Hughes was activated from the practice squad 10/29/2012. Robert played in his first regular season NFL game November 4, 2012 against the Miami Dolphins and recorded his first statistic, a 3-yard reception from Andrew Luck in the first quarter of the Colts win over the Jacksonville Jaguars November 8th 2012. He later recorded his first rushing attempt, with a five-yard rush, November 18, 2012 vs. the New England Patriots. He was released on May 1, 2013. On August 5, 2013, Hughes was re-signed by the Colts.
On December 23, 2013, Hughes signed with the Arizona Cardinals practice squad. On September 5, 2015, he was released by the Cardinals. On October 22, the Cardinals signed him to their practice squad. On January 26, 2016, Hughes signed a futures contract with the Arizona Cardinals.
- King, Crimson (2012-04-19). "Tampa Bay Buccaneers sign tryout players S Ron Girault and RB Robert Hughes". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Bears agree to terms with 26 rookies". Chicagobears.com. 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- NFL Free Agent Signings: Chicago Bears Sign Notre Dame Product Robert Hughes
- Potash, Mark (September 5, 2011). "Tough weekend for Hughes, Smith, ex-Irish in NFL - Inside Notre Dame sports". Blogs.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Jones, Mike (September 3, 2012). "Redskins finalize practice squad". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-03.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 11, 2012). "Redskins Shuffle Roster, Practice Squad". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Wilson, Phillip (1 May 2013). "Colts release three players, sign nine undrafted free agents". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Twitter / AZCardinals: The #AZCardinals have signed RB Robert Hughes (5-11, 235) to the practice squad. LB JoJo Dickson has been released from the practice squad.
- Urban, Darren (September 5, 2015). "Cardinals Make Final Roster Cuts". AZCardinals.com. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Arizona Cardinals bring RB Robert Hughes back to practice squad
- "Cardinals sign 11 players to future contracts". Arizona Sports. Retrieved 2016-01-28.