Robert Todd Carroll
|Robert Todd Carroll|
Carroll at SkeptiCalCon May 29, 2011, in Berkeley, California
|Born||Robert Todd Carroll
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Education||University of California, San Diego PhD|
Robert Todd Carroll (born 1945) is an American writer and academic. Carroll has written several books and skeptical essays but achieved notability by publishing the Skeptic's Dictionary online in 1994.
A longtime advocate of scientific skepticism and critical thinking, in 1994 Carroll set up the Skeptic's Dictionary website online. It initially consisted of fewer than fifty articles, mostly on informal fallacies and pseudoscience. The site has now grown to several hundred articles, including many on the paranormal and the supernatural. It attracts more than a million visitors per month. Entries from the dictionary have been translated into more than a dozen languages.
Carroll's views have attracted numerous interviews for him from mainstream media and local newspapers, such as the Davis Enterprise. In addition, he has been interviewed by representatives of groups promoting scientific skepticism, such as the New England Skeptical Society and Media Man Australia.
After Carroll published a piece online labelling Richard Milton's writings on alternative science as "Internet Bunk", Milton responded by accusing Carroll of being a "pseudo-skeptic", and showed where he had fabricated quotations and misrepresented his arguments. Carroll tried to counter these accusations in an addendum to his piece.
- Becoming a Critical Thinker – A Guide for the New Millennium, 2nd ed., ISBN 0-536-85934-5.
- "Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed!", Los Angeles: James Randi Educational Foundation, 2011, ISBN 1105902196.
- The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2003, ISBN 0-471-27242-6.
- The Common-sense Philosophy of Religion of Bishop Edward Stillingfleet 1635–1699, ISBN 90-247-1647-0. (1974 doctoral dissertation, under the direction of Richard Popkin, University of California at San Diego).
- Robert Todd Carroll, The common-sense philosophy of religion of bishop Edward Stillingfleet 1635–1699, Nijhoff, 1975
- Preface, Skeptic's Dictionary.
- Elizabeth Sherwin, "Author attempts to debunk angels, other 'strange beliefs', Davis Enterprise, 29 Dec 2003
- Perry DeAngelis, "Interview with Robert Todd Carroll", New England Skeptical Society Journal, no article at link
- "Interview with Bob Carrol", Media Man Australia, 21 Apr 2003
- "Sixteen Notable Figures in Science and Skepticism Elected CSI Fellows". Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Richard Milton. "The Skeptic's Dictionary". Retrieved July 2013.
- Robert Todd Carroll. "Internet Bunk". Retrieved July 2013.
- "SkeptiCalCon 2011". 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- Colanduno, Derek. "Episode 179". Skeptic Magazine. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Robert Todd Carroll|
- "Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed!"
- The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions
- The Skeptic's Refuge
- Skeptic's Dictionary Newsletter, May 2, 2002 to present
- Who's Who Online
- Skeptic's Dictionary For Kids, Released August 4, 2011
Articles and essays
- Skeptical Essays by Carroll
- Swift: Online Newsletter of the JREF James Randi Educational Foundation newsletter written by Carroll, March 17, 2006
- Pranks, Frauds, and Hoaxes from Around the World by Carroll, Skeptical Inquirer, July 2004
- Critical Thinking and Control Groups at the Wayback Machine (archived November 24, 2007) by Carroll for Inquiring Minds, a CSICOP website
- What if Gary Schwartz is right? by Carroll on Gary Schwartz, at Freethinker, mukto-mona.com, a Bengali humanist website
- Keep on Doubting by Roy Herbert, New Scientist Print Edition, Nov. 22, 2003
- The Incomplete Skeptic by Gary Jason, Liberty, Oct. 2005
- Richard Milton, critical response to The Skeptic's Dictionary at the Wayback Machine (archived September 27, 2007)
- Terrence J. Sandbek, "Co-opting Alternative Medicine – The Psychology of Alternative Medicine", Bay Area Skeptics
- Greg Tingle, "Interview with Bob Carrol", Media Man Australia, Apr. 24, 2003
- Bob Carroll – "Defining Skepticism" on Point of Inquiry, April 16, 2010.
- Swoopy; Colanduno, Derek (August 23, 2005), "Ep. #17 - Interview: w/Bob Carroll of Skepdic", Skepticality (Skeptic Magazine), retrieved November 27, 2011
- Swoopy; Colanduno, Derek (February 3, 2006), "Ep. #29 - The Scary Q-Link and Bob Carroll from TAM 4", Skepticality (Skeptic Magazine), retrieved November 27, 2011