Robert W. Peterson (politician)
|Robert W. Peterson|
|North Dakota State Auditor|
|Preceded by||Curtis G. Olson|
|Succeeded by||Robert R. Peterson|
January 18, 1929|
Williston, North Dakota
|Died||April 18, 2013
Bismarck, North Dakota
Robert W. Peterson (January 18, 1929 – April 18, 2013) was an American politician serving as a public servant and politician from North Dakota. A member of the Republican Party, he served as the North Dakota State Auditor from 1973 to 1996. Prior to his tenure as Auditor, he served in the North Dakota House of Representatives from 1967 to 1972. His son, Robert R. Peterson, was his successor as State Auditor; he began serving in 1997.
Peterson was born in Williston, North Dakota. He was the eldest of four boys born to Carsten and Clara (Solfest) Peterson. He was a graduate of Williston High School (1947), Concordia College, and the University of North Dakota with a Masters degree in business administration. He served in the U.S. Army (1951–1953) . He was a teacher and coach from 1953 to 1963 at Alamo, ND. In 1963, Bob coached the Williston High School boys' basketball team to a North Dakota state championship.
He became involved in politics when he was elected to the North Dakota House of Representatives in 1966, and he served in that capacity until 1973 when he was elected as North Dakota State Auditor. He did not seek re-election to the position in 1996, and his son ran for and won the open seat.  
- "Robert Peterson". State of North Dakota Office of the State Auditor. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Rob Port (October 21, 2015). "North Dakota Has Had A Republican State Auditor For 120 Years". SayAnythingBlog.com. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "Carsten Peterson (Williston, Williams, North Dakota)". 1940 United States Census. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "Robert W. Peterson". Tributes, Inc. April 20, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- North Dakota Blue Book, 2005
- Brian Gehring (April 18, 2013). "Former state auditor Robert W. Peterson". Bismarck (North Dakota) Tribune. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Associated Press (April 18, 2013). "Former North Dakota auditor Peterson dies". Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
Curtis G. Olson
|North Dakota State Auditor
Robert R. Peterson
|This article about a North Dakota politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|