Rock the Kasbah (film)
|Rock the Kasbah|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Barry Levinson|
|Written by||Mitch Glazer|
|Music by||Marcelo Zarvos|
|Edited by||Aaron Yanes|
|Distributed by||Open Road Films|
|Box office||$3.4 million|
Rock the Kasbah is a 2015 American comedy film directed by Barry Levinson and written by Mitch Glazer. The film stars Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Kate Hudson, Zooey Deschanel, Leem Lubany, Scott Caan, Danny McBride, Kelly Lynch, Arian Moayed, Taylor Kinney, and Beejan Land. Open Road Films released the film on October 23, 2015.
Richie Lanz (Bill Murray), a has-been rock manager takes his last remaining client on a USO tour of Afghanistan. When Richie finds himself in Kabul, abandoned, penniless and without his U.S. passport, he discovers a young Afghan girl named Salima with an extraordinary voice and manages her through Afghanistan's version of American Idol.
The story is very freely adapted from the 2009 documentary Afghan Star, and was dedicated to one of the stars of that film, Setara Hussainzada.
- Bill Murray as Richie Lanz
- Kate Hudson as Merci
- Zooey Deschanel as Ronnie
- Danny McBride as Nick
- Scott Caan as Jake
- Bruce Willis as Bombay Brian
- Kelly Lynch as Sylvia
- Beejan Land as Daoud Sididi
- Leem Lubany as Salima Khan
- Taylor Kinney as Private Barnes
- Fahim Fazli as Tariq Khan
- Arian Moayed as Riza
- Sarah Baker as Maureen
The film was announced in September 2013. In February 2014, Open Road Films acquired the US distribution rights to the film. In March 2014, Shia LaBeouf, who had been cast in the film, dropped out. A few days later, Scott Caan replace LaBeouf. Principal photography and production began on June 2, 2014, and ended on July 30, 2014.
This film opened on October 23, 2015, alongside The Last Witch Hunter, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, Jem and the Holograms, and the expanded release of Steve Jobs. In its opening weekend, the film was originally projected to gross $6 million from 2,012 theaters; however, after grossing $75,000 during its Thursday preview screenings ($60 per theater), projections were lowered to $4 million. The film grossed $529,000 on its first day, and opening weekend projections were again lowered to $1.6 million. In its opening weekend, the film grossed $1.5 million, finishing 13th at the box office. According to Box Office Mojo, the film had the fifth-worst opening of all-time for a film playing in 2,000+ theaters, grossing an average $731 per venue (fellow opener Jem and the Holograms had an even worse $570 average).
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 8% based on 119 reviews and an average rating of 3.4/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Shareef don't like Rock the Kasbah, and neither will viewers hoping for a film that manages to make effective use of Bill Murray's knack for playing lovably anarchic losers." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 29 out of 100 based on 35 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". On CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "B–" on an A+ to F scale.
- "Rock the Kasbah (2015)". AFI Catalog of Feature Films. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "ROCK THE KASBAH (15)". British Board of Film Classification. February 22, 2016. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Paul Chi (2015-08-29). "Bill Clinton, McCartney and Springsteen Attend Billy Murray Screening". Variety. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- "Rock the Kasbah (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (3 September 2013). "QED Sets Bill Murray For Barry Levinson-Directed 'Rock The Kasbah'". deadline.com. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela (30 January 2014). "Kate Hudson, Bruce Willis, Shia LaBeouf Join "Rock the Kasbah"". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Scott Caan Replaces Shia LaBeouf in 'Rock the Kasbah'". Variety. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "Rock the Kasbah". Herald Media. 2015-09-29. Retrieved 2015-10-12.
- "'Hollywood role for Australian Actor Beejan Land'". Inside Film. 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-12-18.
- "Bill Murray's 'Rock the Kasbah' Sells to Sony for International Territories". Variety. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "'Chicago Fire' Star Taylor Kinney Joins Bill Murray's 'Rock the Kasbah' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Cunningham, Todd (6 February 2014). "Bill Murray-Shia LeBeouf Comedy 'Rock the Kasbah' Goes to Open Road". thewrap.com. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Shia LaBeouf Exits 'Rock the Kasbah'". Hollywood Reporter. 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "On The Set For 6/2/14: Bill Murray-Starrer 'Rock the Kasbah' Starts, 'American Sniper' Wraps". Studiosystemnews.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "Zooey Deschanel Tweets Photo from Rock the Kasbah Set". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Open Road Sets 2015 Date For 'Rock The Kasbah'". deadline.com. August 20, 2014. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Busch, Anita (2015-04-24). "'Rock the Kasbah,' 'Michelle Darnell,' 'Star Wars,' 'Custody' – Film Briefs". Deadline. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- "Only 'Goosebumps' Will Prevail In Five-Pic Logjam – Box Office Preview". deadspin.com.
- "'The Martian' Returning To No. 1 Above Five-Pic Logjam; 'Jem' & 'Kasbah' Crashing". Deadline.com.
- "WORST WIDE OPENINGS 1982–Present". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Rock the Kasbah (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- "Rock the Kasbah Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 18, 2016.