|Birth name||Rachel Alexandra Mercaldo|
March 4, 1977 |
Staten Island, New York
|Genres||Freestyle, dance-pop, Hi-NRG|
1996–2001: What Are You Lookin' At? and Instant Pleasure
In 1996, Rockell released her debut single, "I Fell In Love". In the late 1990s, she had major dance hits with the songs "In a Dream", "When I'm Gone" and "Can't We Try" (a duet with Collage and remake of the Dan Hill and Vonda Shepard 1987 hit song). All of these tracks appeared on her 1998 debut album entitled What Are You Lookin' At?. "I Fell In Love", distributed by the then BMG Canada, reached #1 on the Canadian Singles Chart while the follow-up "In a Dream" reached #6. She released a second album, Instant Pleasure, in 2000. Instant Pleasure included the single "What U Did 2 Me" which reached #101 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2001. She released a music video for the single. Remixes of "What U Did 2 Me" were released including the popular JP's Radio Mix.
2005–present: Return to music
In 2005, she returned with "L.O.V.E", produced by DJ Mickey Bono of the Beat Thrillerz. A limited independent release had a trance remix by Lenny "Linus" Douglas and freestyle remixes by Russ Castella and Randy Taylor-Weber, the original writer/producer of "In a Dream".
In spring 2007, Rockell recorded the single "Playin' My Love". It was released to Dance/Rhythmic format radio in July 2007. A freestyle remix by Salsation 3 was released in November 2007. A nationwide tour with several dance artists including Joe Zangie was announced as well. In November of that same year, she released a dance single with Canada's Odeon Records, "You Keep Me Hangin' On", a remake of the Supremes original.
On June 3, 2009, Rockell released the duet single "When I Want You Back" with Joe Zangie. Later in June, she released a dance cover of Donna Summer's "On the Radio".
In 2012, Rockell signed a new management deal with BlackCole Entertainment. On December 11 of that year, she released her single "Turn Up the Heat" which had a new sound of freestyle and dance-pop from her previous works. The track contains a rap and usage of high vocals.
"I Fell In Love" peaked at #61 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1997. It hit the #1 spot on the Canadian Singles Chart during that year, making it the most successful freestyle dance music single of the decade in Canada. The single also peaked at #9 on the Hot Dance Singles Sales chart in the US.
"In a Dream", the follow-up to "I Fell In Love", peaked at #72 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June, 1998. It was #6 on the Hot 100 Canadian Singles Chart and solidified Rockell's position on the artist roster of the then BMG Music Canada. It also peaked at #13 on the Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
"When I'm Gone" failed to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1999, but appeared on the Hot Dance Airplay and Hot Dance Music/Club Play charts. It also peaked at #21 on the Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
She also released "The Dance" (a cover of the Garth Brooks hit) and "Tears", but neither of these singles charted on the Hot 100. Both singles performed well on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play and Hot Dance Airplay charts. "The Dance" peaked at #27 and "Tears" peaked at #16 on the Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
|1998||What Are You Lookin' At?||30|
|"-" denotes a release that did not make the stop.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"I Fell In Love"||1996||61||1||What Are You Lookin' At?|
|"In a Dream"||1997||72||6||What Are You Lookin' At?|
|"Can't We Try"
(Duet with Collage)
|1998||59||-||What Are You Lookin' At?|
|"When I'm Gone"||1999||-||-||What Are You Lookin' At?|
|"The Dance"||2000||-||-||Instant Pleasure|
|"What U Did 2 Me"||2001||101||-||Instant Pleasure|
|"Playin' My Love"||2007||-||-||Non-album single|
|"You Keep Me Hangin' On"||2007||-||-||Non-album single|
|"When I Want You Back"
(Duet with Joe Zangie)
|"On the Radio"||2009||-||-||Non-album single|
|"Turn Up the Heat"||2012||-||-||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes a title that was not released or did not chart in that territory.|
- "Dream Boy/Dream Girl" - original by Cynthia and Johnny O
- "Can't We Try" - original by Dan Hill and Vonda Shepard
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On" - original by Diana Ross & The Supremes
- "When I'm Gone" - original by Albert Hammond
- "Show Me the Way" - original by Peter Frampton
- "We Just Disagree" - original by Dave Mason
- "Love Won't Let Me Wait" - original by George Kerr
- "Rockell | Music Biography, Credits and Discography | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Chart History for I Fell In Love by Rockell". song-database.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Chart History for In A Dream by Rockell". song-database.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "What Are You Lookin' At? - Rockell | Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Billboard - Music Charts, Music News, Artist Photo Gallery & Free Video". billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Rockell Freestyle Princess". Pure Volume. Rockell. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Rockell Freestyle Princess". Facebook. Rockell. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Rockell". iTunes. iTunes. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "Rockell Discography at Discogs". discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Rockell Mercaldo | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Rockell | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.