Roger Carr (businessman)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sir Roger Carr|
|Born||Roger Martyn Carr
22 December 1946
|Title||Chairman of BAE Systems|
He has been on the board of eight companies:
- Chairman of BAE Systems
- Chairman of Centrica plc
- Non-executive Director of the Bank of England
- Chairman of Mitchells & Butlers
- Chairman of Cadbury plc
- Chairman of Chubb Locks
- Chairman of Thames Water
- CEO of Williams Holdings
Carr's first period on a company board began in 1994 when he became CEO of Williams Holdings, he later became chairman of Thames Water in 1998. In 2000 Williams Holdings demerged into Chubb and Kidde, Carr became the chairman of Chubb. Also in 2000, he stepped down as chairman of Thames Water. In 2003, he became the chairman of Mitchells & Butlers, a British company that owns over 2,000 pubs and restaurants. He resigned in 2008 and in June of the same year became the chairman of Cadbury plc, the United Kingdom's largest confectionery manufacturer. He resigned on 3 February 2010, when the company was bought by Kraft Foods. He has been the chairman of Centrica since 2004. He was President of the CBI (an unpaid role) from June 2011. Carr was succeeded in the role by Sir Michael Rake in June 2013.
On 12 June 2013 BAE Systems announced that Carr was to join the Board as a non-executive director and chairman designate on 1 October 2013, and that he would succeed Dick Olver as chairman in the first quarter of 2014. On 20 March 2015 it was announced that Carr had been appointed as the Vice-Chairman of the BBC Trust and will serve on the BBC's governing body for 4 years.
Carr was knighted in the 2011 New Year Honours for services to business.
- "Sir Roger Carr". BAE Systems - International. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "The Times & The Sunday Times". Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Non-executive directors to Bank of England's Court appointed by Chancellor". GOV.UK. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Williams Holdings bids for Chubb - Accountancy Age". Accountancy Age. 1997-02-21. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Andrew Clark "Roger Carr, the new CBI head, promises to make foreign takeovers more difficult", The Observer, 12 December 2010
- Ben Harrington "Sir Mike Rake named head of the CBI", Daily Telegraph, 19 March 2013
- "CBI welcomes Sir Mike Rake as new President", CBI, 10 June 2013
- Cooper, Rachel (2013-06-12). "Sir Roger Carr named new BAE chairman". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Mark Sweney "BBC Trust names ex-Radio 4 controller and banker as new trustees", The Guardian, 20 March 2015