Roger N. Walsh (MD, Ph.D.) is an Australian professor of Psychiatry, Philosophy and Anthropology at the University of California, Irvine, in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, within UCI's College of Medicine. Walsh is respected for his views on psychoactive drugs and altered states of consciousness in relation with the religious/spiritual experience, and has been quoted in the media regarding psychology, spirituality, and the medical effects of meditation.
According to his profile, Dr. Walsh received his degrees from the University of Queensland and is involved in six ongoing research areas:
- comparison of different schools of psychology and psychotherapy
- studies of Asian psychologies and philosophies
- the effects of meditation
- transpersonal psychology
- the psychology of religion
- the psychology of human survival (exploring the psychological causes and consequences of the current global crises).
- Walsh, Roger; Vaughan, Frances, eds. (1993). Paths Beyond Ego: The Transpersonal Vision. ISBN 0-87477-678-3.
- Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind. Wiley. 2000. ISBN 0-471-39216-2.
- Walsh, Roger; Wilber, Ken (2005). A Sociable God: Toward a New Understanding of Religion. Shambhala.
- The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition. Llewellyn. 2007. ISBN 0-7387-0575-6.
- Shapiro, Deane H.; Walsh, Roger N., eds. (2008) . Meditation, classic and contemporary perspectives. New York: Aldine. ISBN 978-0-202-36244-1.
- "New evidence points to growth of the brain even late in life", New York Times, Jul. 30, 1985.
"Greenhouse Effect: The Human Response", Washington Post, Apr. 17, 1990.
"Survival could depend on your attitude", CNN, Jun. 1, 2005.
- "Psychology of east gaining attention in western world", New York Times, Oct. 9, 1984.
"Mystic journeys breathing life into visions beyond the rational", San Jose Mercury News, Jun. 10, 1995.
"Web site gives scientists outlet for explaining the unexplainable", Sacramento Bee, Sep. 4, 2001.
"West meets East: UCI puts Eastern techniques under the microscope of Western scientific method", Orange County Register, Mar. 14, 2004.
- "Meditation as Medicine", Orange County Register, Dec. 28, 2003.
"Doctors say meditation helps patients improve health", Kansas City Star, Feb. 1, 2004.
- UCI Faculty Profiles: Roger N. Walsh Archived 2012-07-30 at archive.today
- Puhakka, K. (1994). "Interview: The cultivation of wisdom: An interview with roger Walsh". The Humanistic Psychologist. 22 (3): 275–295. doi:10.1080/08873267.1994.9976955.
- Rothberg, Donald; Kelly, Sean, eds. (1998). "Roger Walsh". Ken Wilber in dialogue: conversations with leading transpersonal thinkers. Quest Books. pp. 30–52. ISBN 978-0-8356-0766-7.