|Born||November 17, 1969|
|Alma mater||ETH Zurich|
|Institutions||ETH Zurich, Brown University, Microsoft Research|
|Thesis||Distributed Counting – How to Bypass Bottlenecks (1998)|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter Widmayer|
Roger Wattenhofer, born in 1969, is a Swiss computer scientist, active in the field of distributed computing, networking, and algorithms. He is a professor at ETH Zurich (Switzerland) since 2001. He has published numerous research articles in computer science and a book on Bitcoin.
In 2012, Wattenhofer won the Prize for Innovation in Distributed Computing, awarded annually at the SIROCCO conference. Together with Christian Decker in 2014, he uncovered that nearly 850,000 of the BitCoins lost by Mt. Gox could not have been stolen by malleability attacks, as claimed by Mt. Gox. In 2017, he appeared in a movie about the Blockchain.
- Hong, Chi-Yao; Kandula, Srikanth; Mahajan, Ratul; Zhang, Ming; Gill, Vijay; Nanduri, Mohan; Wattenhofer, Roger (27 August 2013). "Achieving high utilization with software-driven WAN". ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. 43 (4): 15–26. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.306.9382. doi:10.1145/2534169.2486012.
- Lenzen, Christoph; Locher, Thomas; Wattenhofer, Roger (1 January 2010). "Tight bounds for clock synchronization". Journal of the ACM. 57 (2): 1–42. doi:10.1145/1667053.1667057.
- Herlihy, Maurice; Kuhn, Fabian; Tirthapura, Srikanta; Wattenhofer, Roger (25 September 2006). "Dynamic Analysis of the Arrow Distributed Protocol" (PDF). Theory of Computing Systems. 39 (6): 875–901. doi:10.1007/s00224-006-1251-9.
- Roger Wattenhofer's personal page on ETH Zurich's website
- "Biographies of Invited Speakers". 24th International Symposium on Graph Drawing & Network Visualization.
- "Keynote by Prof. Roger Wattenhofer". ACM SenSys 2017.
- Roger Wattenhofer's bibliography on DBLP
- "Roger Wattenhofer". Google Scholar.
- Wattenhofer, Roger (2016). The science of the blockchain. Inverted Forest Publishing. ISBN 978-1-5227-5183-0.
- Idit Keidar, ACM-SIGACT News Distributed Computing Column, June 2013
- Decker, Christian; Wattenhofer, Roger (1 January 2014). Bitcoin Transaction Malleability and MtGox. Computer Security - ESORICS 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 8713. pp. 313–326. arXiv:1403.6676. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-11212-1_18. ISBN 978-3-319-11211-4.
- "The Mt. Gox Bitcoin Debacle: An Update". 2015-11-03.
- "The Troubling Holes in MtGox's Account of How It Lost $600 Million in Bitcoins".
- "Roger Wattenhofer".