|Education||University College London|
|Known for||Social media presence|
|Total views||30.1 million|
Updated: July 21, 2021
Rohin Francis is a British cardiologist, writer, comedian, and YouTube creator. He is working toward a PhD on imaging techniques for acute myocardial infarction. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Francis has created content that has looked to educate the public about coronavirus disease.
Early life and education
Francis is a semi-popular science communicator, with a following of over 400,000 on his YouTube channel Medlife Crisis. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Francis started creating more serious YouTube videos, and has since discussed issues such as coronavirus disease, systemic racism and pseudoscience. In an interview with Men's Health, Francis described why and how people needed to remain positive whilst acknowledging the seriousness of coronavirus disease. He said that it was appropriate for coronavirus disease-related YouTube videos to be demonetised as it could mitigate the spread of misinformation.
Francis has argued against the private ownership and licensing of publicly-funded research. He criticised companies such as Elsevier for their high profit margins, earned by licensing primary research. He has also publicly supported Alexandra Elbakyan, the creator of the website Sci-Hub, for her efforts to make research more accessible.
- Hausenloy, Derek J; Kharbanda, Rajesh K; Møller, Ulla Kristine; Ramlall, Manish; Aarøe, Jens; Butler, Robert; Bulluck, Heerajnarain; Clayton, Tim; Dana, Ali; Dodd, Matthew; Engstrom, Thomas (2019-10-19). "Effect of remote ischaemic conditioning on clinical outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction (CONDI-2/ERIC-PPCI): a single-blind randomised controlled trial". The Lancet. 394 (10207): 1415–1424. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(19)32039-2. ISSN 0140-6736. PMC 6891239. PMID 31500849.
- Francis, Rohin; Lewis, Clive (2018-06-01). "Myocardial biopsy: techniques and indications". Heart. 104 (11): 950–958. doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2017-311382. ISSN 1355-6037. PMID 29032361. S2CID 41152760.
- Kotecha, Tushar; Martinez-Naharro, Ana; Treibel, Thomas A.; Francis, Rohin; Nordin, Sabrina; Abdel-Gadir, Amna; Knight, Daniel S.; Zumbo, Giulia; Rosmini, Stefania; Maestrini, Viviana; Bulluck, Heerajnarain (2018). "Myocardial Edema and Prognosis in Amyloidosis". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 71 (25): 2919–2931. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2018.03.536. PMID 29929616.
- Francis, Rohin; Kellman, Peter; Kotecha, Tuchar; Baggiano, Andrea; Norrington, Karl; Martinez-Naharro, Ana; Nordin, Sabrina; Knight, Daniel S.; Rakhit, Roby D.; Lockie, Tim; Hawkins, Philip N. (2017-11-21). "Prospective comparison of novel dark blood late gadolinium enhancement with conventional bright blood imaging for the detection of scar". Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 19 (91): 91. doi:10.1186/s12968-017-0407-x. PMC 5696884. PMID 29162123.
- "About Medlife Crisis". YouTube.
- "Rohin Francis". The Conversation. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- UCL (2019-09-09). "Rohin Francis". UCL Institute of Cardiovascular Science. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "Rohin Francis". The Conversation. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- Premela (2020-02-14). "YouTube Channels Aspiring Medics Should Check Out". The Medic Portal. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- COVID-19 and the NHS with Rohin Francis - Pager, retrieved 2020-06-06
- Ellis, Philip (2020-03-14). "A Doctor Gives 6 Reasons to Be Optimistic About Beating Coronavirus". Men's Health. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- Stokel-Walker, Chris (2020-03-30). "YouTube's Independent Creators Are Mad That They Can't Say 'Coronavirus'". Medium. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- "The Biggest Scandal in Science". www.medpagetoday.com. 2020-10-22. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "Should Knowledge Be Free? - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Medlife Crisis. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- Francis, Rohin (9 May 2016). "A good death should be doctors and patients' last life goal". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- I'm Applying To Become An Astronaut (not the billionaire type), retrieved 2021-07-23