Roman Evsey Glazman
Roman Evsey Glazman 1986
Roman Evsey Glazman
26 June 1948
|Died||24 April 2006 (aged 57)|
Altadena, California, U.S.
(m. 1971; div. 1978)
(m. 1979; div. 1993)
|Thesis||A Mathematical Model of Breaking Wave Statistics (1985)|
|Academic advisors||Melvin Stern|
Early life and education
Roman E. Glazman was born in St. Petersburg, Russia, on June 26, 1948 in a secular Jewish family. He became a citizen of the United States on October 28, 1985 and completed his PhD in Ocean Engineering at the University Of Rhode Island in 1985.
Glazman published more than 40 works in Oceanography in scientific journals and completed over 60 research studies presenting at International Scientific Conferences, including OCEANS Conference, Geoscience and Remote Sensing International Symposium (IGARSS), Wormley Conference, American Geophysical Union Conference (AGU), International Association for Physical Sciences of the Ocean, International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics.
Glazman conducted exploratory expeditions in the Bering Sea and the North Pacific Ocean off the coast of Kamchatka and Japan, the Arctic, as well as the Barents Sea off the coast of Finland. He took measurements of the depths and salinity of oceans, of the wind forces, pressures and surface temperatures, by experimentation equipped with vessel technology available in the 1970s.
The topics in which Glazman made contributions include wave dynamics, capillary- and inertia-gravity waves, nonlinear waves and turbulence, Rossby waves, sea level measurements, sea surface geometry, magnetic field at sea surface, wind generated wave dynamics, adsorbed film and oscillations.
- Glazman, Roman E.; Greysukh, Alexander (1993). "Satellite altimeter measurements of surface wind". Journal of Geophysical Research. 98 (C2): 2475–2483. Bibcode:1993JGR....98.2475G. doi:10.1029/92JC02659.
- Glazman, Roman. "Long internal waves studies with applications to large-scale ocean transport and improvement of altimeter measurements". NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- Glazman, Roman E. (1985). "Mathematical Modeling of Breaking Wave Statistics". In Y. Toba; H. Mitsuyasu (eds.). The Ocean Surface: Wave Breaking, Turbulent Mixing and Radio Probing. Springer. pp. 145–150. ISBN 978-9027720214.
- Glazman, Roman E. (1991). "Fractal Nature Of Surface Geometry In A Developed Sea". In Schertzer, D.; Lovejoy, S. (eds.). Non-Linear Variability in Geophysics. Kluwer Academic Publishing. pp. 217–227. ISBN 978-9401074667.
- Glazman, Roman E. (1994). "A Cascade Model Of Wave Turbulence With Applications To Surface Gravity And Capillary Waves". In Vicsek, T.; Shlesinger, M. (eds.). Fractals in Natural Sciences. World Scientific Publishing Company. pp. 219–227. ISBN 978-9810216245. OCLC 31978082.
- Glazman, Roman E. (1992). "Wave Spectra of Developed Seas". In Fitzmaurice, N.; Gurarie D. (eds.). Nonlinear Waves and Weak Turbulence. Springer. pp. 45–68. ISBN 978-0817636678.
- Glazman, Roman E. (1995). "Scale-dependent Ocean Wave Turbulence". In Molchanov, S.A.; Woyczynski, W. A. (eds.). Stochastic Models in Geosystems. Springer. pp. 97–114. ISBN 978-1461385028.
- "Roman Glazman". Physics Today. April 2006. doi:10.1063/PT.4.2329.
- "Library of Oceanography". works by Roman E. Glazman and co-authors at Library of Oceanography
- Roman E. Glazman. "Experiments on Sea Level Measurements Using S-Band Interferometric Techniques, 1981".
- "Long Internal Gravity Waves as a Factor Of Large Scale Transport".
- "Fluctuations of SST and CHL-A Concentration Caused by Baroclinic Inertia-Gravity Waves" (PDF).
- "Equatorial Wave Regime Rossby Solitons".
- "A Simple Theory of Capillary-Gravity Wave Turbulence" (PDF).
- "The Effect of the Degree Of Wave Development On The Sea State Bias in Radar Altimetry Measurement".
|This article about an American physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Russian physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|