|Mayor of Cedar Rapids|
|Succeeded by||Kay Halloran|
October 12, 1960 |
|Residence||Cedar Rapids, Iowa|
|Alma mater||Cornell College|
Early life and education
After graduation, Corbett worked for The Equitable Life Insurance Company as an agent for ten years. He was elected to the Iowa House of Representatives in 1986, where he served 7 terms. He was Speaker of the House from 1995 until 1999. He then resigned his house seat to become president of the Cedar Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce. He left that position for a Cedar Rapids based international trucking firm, CRST working directly under executive director John Smith.
He was elected mayor of Cedar Rapids in 2009 with 62% of the vote. He was re-elected to another four-year term in 2013. In December 2016, he stated that he would not seek re-election for mayor of Cedar Rapids, but would instead consider a run as the GOP candidate for governor of Iowa in 2018. Jimmy Centers, a former communications director for Branstad, noted that he lacks name recognition in western Iowa and that Corbett's use of union-friendly project labor agreements are very unpopular with many Republicans.
In 2015, he officially resigned CRST and launched a conservative think tank called Engage Iowa, and he serves as president of that non-profit organization. Its first policy initiative on water quality and state tax reform was introduced in November 2015.
- "Ron Corbett Mayor". City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- "Ron Corbett: Wants to get city back on track". GazetteOnline.com. Oct 25, 2009. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- Ron Corbett
- "Cornell alumnus elected mayor of Cedar Rapids". Cornell College. November 4, 2009. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- Smith, Rick (Nov 4, 2009). "Corbett will be Cedar Rapids mayor". GazetteOnline.com. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- Morelli, B. A. (December 19, 2016). "Cedar Rapids Mayor Ron Corbett will not seek re-election, fans flames of gubernatorial run: 'I want to see how things play out over the next few months,' he says". The Gazette. Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- "Mayor Ron Corbett launches 'conservative think tank' | The Gazette". The Gazette. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Corbett's Engage Iowa pushes flat income tax, clean water | The Gazette". The Gazette. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
|Mayor of Cedar Rapids
|This article about a mayor in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|