RosettaNet is a non-profit consortium aimed at establishing standard processes for the sharing of business information (B2B). RosettaNet is a consortium of major Computer and Consumer Electronics, Electronic Components, Semiconductor Manufacturing, Telecommunications and Logistics companies working to create and implement industry-wide, open e-business process standards. These standards form a common e-business language, aligning processes between supply chain partners on a global basis.
RosettaNet is a subsidiary of GS1 US, formerly the Uniform Code Council, Inc. (UCC). It was formed mainly through the efforts of Fadi Chehade, its first CEO. RosettaNet's 500 members come from companies around the world. The consortium has a presence in USA, Malaysia, Europe, Japan, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Thailand and Australia.
RosettaNet has several local user groups. The European User Group is called EDIFICE.
The RosettaNet Standards website shut down by the end of 2013 and RosettaNet Standards is now managed as part of GS1 US website.
The RosettaNet standard
The RosettaNet standard defines both e-commerce document and exchange protocols, as part of the Electronic data interchange (EDI).
The RosettaNet standard is based on XML and defines message guidelines, interfaces for business processes, and implementation frameworks for interactions between companies. Mostly addressed is the supply chain area, but also manufacturing, product and material data and service processes are in scope.
The standard is widely spread in the global semiconductor industry, but also in electronic components, consumer electronics, telecommunication and logistics. RosettaNet originated in the USA and is widely used there, but it is also well accepted and even supported by governments in Asia. Due to the widespread use of EDIFACT in Europe, RosettaNet is used less, but it is growing.
The RosettaNet Technical Dictionary (RNTD) is the reference model for the classification and characterization of the products in the supply chains that use RosettaNet for their interactions.
Industrial products and services categorization standards
Rosetta Net is a Unique X product Theater Management System
- Adams, Susie; Hardas, Dilip; Iossein, Aktar & Kaiman, Charles (2002). BizTalk Unleashed. Indianapolis, Indiana: Sams Publishing. p. 966. ISBN 978-0-672-32176-4.
- Boh, W. F; C. Soh; S. Yeo (2007). "Standards development and diffusion: a case study of RosettaNet". Communications of the ACM. 50 (12): 57–62. doi:10.1145/1323688.1323695.
- Jesdanun, Anick (23 June 2012). "Internet group picks little-known executive as CEO". The Austin Statesman. Austin, Texas. Archived from the original on 23 June 2012.
- an international open document standard called ECMA Open XML Lin, Woon Wu (June 2007). "RosettaNet Malaysia introduces new biz standard for local SMIs". Archived from the original on 25 October 2007.
- RosettaNet (12 September 2007). "Purpose". RosettaNet.