Round House, Inglesham
|Built||1780s or 1790s|
|Official name||The Round House|
|Designated||4 July 1985|
The Round House near Inglesham in the parish of Lechlade, Gloucestershire, England, is a circular former lock keeper's house at the junction of the River Thames and the Thames and Severn Canal. It is a Grade II listed building.
The Round House was built in the 1780s or 1790s when the Thames and Severn Canal was built, to house the lock keeper who managed the flight of locks at the eastern end of the canal. It is believed that the ground floor was used for animals with living accommodation above. There were five similar structures along the course of the canal.
Restoration of the canal locks near to the roundhouse is being undertaken by the Inland Waterways Association and Cotswold Canals Trust. In 2010 work started on the restoration of the flight of locks by the Waterway Recovery Group and Kent and East Sussex Canal Restoration Group with support from the Inland Waterways Association.
The 10-metre (33 ft) high, three-storey stone building is approached by a set of steps to the doorway. The roof of the house is an inverted cone to catch rainwater. This is now lined with synthetic slates but was probably originally made of lead.
Next to the round house is an old warehouse that has been converted into a cottage.
- Historic England. "The Round House (Grade II) (1089423)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- Copping, John (2009). "The Canal Round House at Inglesham Lock" (PDF). Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology Journal: 23–25. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2019-08-02. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- Redford, Gill. "Inglesham Lock in pictures". History, memories and Photos from the Cotswold Canals. Cotswold Canals Heritage. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- Winn, Christopher (2010). I Never Knew That About the River Thames. Random House. pp. 21–22. ISBN 9781407080604.
- "The Thames & Severn Canal and the Inglesham Roundhouse". Lechlade History Society. Archived from the original on 31 May 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "Inglesham Lock: IWA Announce National Restoration Appeal". Cotswold Canals Heritage. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "Inglesham Lock". Kescrg Canal Restoration Group. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "The Thames & Severn Canal at Lechlade". Lechlade on Thames. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "Inglesham Roundhouse". Cotswold Canals in Pictures. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "Inglesham Lock Restoration Plan". Waterway Recovery Group. Retrieved 30 June 2020.