Roy Dowell is a California contemporary visual artist. He was born in 1951 in New York City and his work combines collage and painted elements, and elements of mass media to create abstract compositions.
He is exhibited nationally and internationally, including a one-person exhibition at the Los Angeles County Museum of the Arts. He is represented in major museum collections such as Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, the Hammer Museum of UCLA, Berkeley Museum of Art and the Oakland Museum. He was represented by Margo Leavin Gallery in Los Angeles from 1995 to 2012 when Leavin closed her space. He is currently represented by Lennon Weinberg Inc., in New York and James Harris Gallery in Seattle.
In 1979, Dowell founded the Graduate Fine Arts Department at Otis College of Art and Design and serves as Chair. In 2010, he was honored by the Ben Maltz Gallery with an exhibition called "The Story of O", which celebrates the work of 20 graduates. He was selected for "critic's pick" in the May 2010 issue of ARTnews.
He has been awarded a J. Paul Getty Fellowship in the Visual Arts, and has served as artist in residence at the Anderson Ranch Arts Center, Snowmass, Colorado.
- McKenna, Kristine (1997-10-19). "Roy Dowell's Mixed Bag of Tricks". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Artist Residencies at Anderson Ranch Arts Center - Visiting Artists". Andersonranch.org. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "CV Roy Dowell, Various Small Fires" (PDF).
- "Roy Dowell". Otis.edu. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Otis Ben Maltz Gallery presents The Story of O". Art and Education. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Otis College of Art and Design". Otis.edu. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- Roy Dowell (Margo Leavin Gallery)
- on YouTube
- Profile of Roy Dowell
- Los Angeles Times review by Christopher Knight
- Pittman Dowell Residence, article from Architectural Record
- Where Life and Art Commingle Los Angeles Times article about Dowell's life with Lari Pittman
- Roy Dowell: Margo Leavin Gallery, Artforum review
- Art in Review from The New York Times
- Roy Dowell's Mixed Bag of Tricks
|This artist-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|