Russell Jacoby (born April 23, 1945) is a professor of history at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), an author and a critic of academic culture. His fields of interest are twentieth-century European and American intellectual and cultural history, specifically the history of intellectuals and education.
In 2009, he was appointed to the Moishe Gonzales Folding Chair of Critical Theory. A documentary, Velvet Prisons: Russell Jacoby on American Academia, premiered at the Humanity Explored Online Film Festival.
- Articles and reviews in American Historical Review, Grand Street, The Nation, Los Angeles Times, London Review of Books, The New York Times, Harper's and elsewhere.
- Social Amnesia: A Critique of Contemporary Psychology (Beacon Press, 1975; Transaction, 1997)
- “What is Conformist Marxism?”. Telos 45 (Fall 1980). New York: Telos Press.
- Dialectic of Defeat: Contours of Western Marxism (Cambridge University Press, 1981)
- The Repression of Psychoanalysis: Otto Fenichel and the Political Freudians (Basic Books, 1983)
- The Last Intellectuals: American Culture in the Age of Academe (Basic Books, 1987; new edition with new Introduction, Basic Books 2000)
- Dogmatic Wisdom: How the Culture Wars Divert Education and Distract America (Doubleday, 1994)
- The Bell Curve Debate: History, Documents, Opinions (Times Books, 1995).
- The End of Utopia: Politics and Culture in the Age of Apathy (Basic Books, 1999)
- Picture Imperfect: Utopian Thought for an Anti-Utopian Age (Columbia University Press, 2005)
- Bloodlust: On the Roots of Violence from Cain and Abel to the Present (Free Press, 2011)
- Guggenheim Fellowship awarded 1980
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Fellowship
- Andrew Mellon Fellowship
- Lehrman Fellowship awarded 1999 (Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History)
- Going Public, Washington Post, by Michael Berube Sunday, July 7, 2002
- UCLA History Department online biography
- Russell Jacoby versus Eric Lott Columbia University online March 24, 2006
- USC Libraries online thumbnail biography
- Russell Jacoby’s PICTURE IMPERFECT Lauren Langman, Columbia University Press, 2005
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Russell Jacoby|
- Scott London's book review of How the Culture Wars Divert Education and Distract America, scottlondon.com
- George Scialabba's book review of How the Culture Wars Divert Education and Distract America, bostonreview.net. See George Scialabba
- Biography by Gale Reference Team available through Amazon e-documents
- Velvet Prisons: Russell Jacoby on American Academia
- Appearances on C-SPAN